Scroll Work

Decorating By Specialkcakes Updated 29 Jul 2009 , 8:16pm by brincess_b

Specialkcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Specialkcakes Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 6:44pm
post #1 of 5

i am making a all bc wedding cake in september. the tiers are to be covered in black scroll work my question is how do you make the pattern look random but not. if anyone understands what i mean. any help is appreciated. thanks

4 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 6:51pm
post #2 of 5

I freehand it, best way if you really want random.

Specialkcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Specialkcakes Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 7:43pm
post #3 of 5

i understand that but is there any method to the madness. when do this usually i either looks like i put them in straight rows or horrible all together

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 7:48pm
post #4 of 5

Pipe a scroll, move to the other side of the scroll, pipe anoth. Go back to the other side of the first one. Pipe another one. Work that way, back and forth, back and forth. I don't know, and I don't even do it the way I suggested, I just go for it. Hard to explain I guess.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 8:16pm
post #5 of 5

the scroll work you have in your pics looks good, you might just be being overly critical.
i dont have much experience with scrolling, only a little cornelli lace. i think it takes time to get into the flow of piping (or drawing, which i do more of!) randomly, so you might want to pipe on some baking paper for a while then move onto the cake once you start liking the patterns.
you could also print off a template and apply it to the cake eg: by pricking it onto the cake with a pin, or just trying to copy it.
xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%