Wedding Cake Help!

Decorating By singinglark Updated 30 Jul 2009 , 7:35am by Texas_Rose

singinglark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
singinglark Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 6:16pm
post #1 of 9

I have a wedding cake due on Saturday. 10, 8, 6 squares - each tier has 2 - 2" layers. Chocolate cake with vanilla custard filling (not sure on recipe yet) with chocolate buttercream frosting.

I am looking for suggestions on the border...bride wants a stripe of green around the bottom of each tier. I am having trouble getting a good consistency with fondant so that after I cut the stripe - it doesn't stretch when I lift it to put it on the cake. If I do a 50/50 mix of fondant/gumpaste - would that give me a better consistency? Would it be better to add meringue powder to the fondant? HELP!!

Also - should I do a 1.5" or 1" border on a 4" layer?

Here is the design Image

8 replies
pouchet82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pouchet82 Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 7:08pm
post #2 of 9

50/50 gumpaste/fondant will work, although you might be able to roll out 100% gumpaste thinner. If you are having so much trouble, could you just use a fabric ribbon??

singinglark Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 7:17pm
post #3 of 9

I asked the bride about ribbon but she wanted fondant ...I PUSHED the ribbon but she said she wanted it completely edible. I think I will try the 50/50 and see how that works.

pouchet82 Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 7:25pm
post #4 of 9

If not, then try just gumpaste

singinglark Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 7:28pm
post #5 of 9

I have never worked with gumpaste - how does it taste? Is it easy to use?

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 7:40pm
post #6 of 9

I would do 50/50 fondant gumpaste mix . I use MMF so tastes like sugar.

pouchet82 Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 7:59pm
post #7 of 9

Gumpaste dries much harder than fondant, and you can roll it a lot thinner than fondant. I prefer to use gumpaste for things like flowers, bows and ribbons. I make my gp from scratch, and since there is a ton of powdered sugar, it tastes sugary. I personally don't like it that much, but it is edible and I know a lot of people who will eat it and don't mind the taste.

aztomcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aztomcat Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 6:45am
post #8 of 9

I agree with the others, use a base of mmf and gumpaste, you can add oils (lemon or raspberry) to make it more tasty. Add it when you add your liquids at the beginning.

good luck. That will be a goreous cake.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 7:35am
post #9 of 9

As long as your ribbon is dusted with cornstarch, you can roll it up loosely after it's cut and then unroll it around the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%