First Fondant Cake

Decorating By cas60 Updated 31 Jul 2009 , 10:42am by brincess_b

cas60 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas60 Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 5:20pm
post #1 of 5

Hi Everyone

I'm a new member and would like some advise. I'm making a grooms cake in the shape of a hockey puck. I planned on making a chocolate cake, buttercream filling and a thin layer of buttercream frosting. I was going to cover it with Black Vanilla Satin Ice fondant...... a couple of questions

Will the black fondant discolor tongues and lips ? Is so, does anyone have any ideas on what I could use to cover the cake that would not cause discoloring and taste good.

also, planned on making the logo out of fondant and attching it to the top. should I make the logo a day ahead and let it air dry - and how should I attach the log to the fondant covered cake - royal icing or piping gel ?

thanks for the help !!!!

4 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 6:01pm
post #2 of 5

dont know if that black fondant will discolour peoples mouths. i cant say ive eaten enough black fondant (different brand) in one go to notice any colour change!
but, if you make the icing your self make chocolate fondant, that way you need less black colouring, which can help any isues.

the logo should just attach with a little bit of water, but you can use whatever you want - edible glue, bc, royal, piping gel....
and i would make it ahead just to give your self more time. although with it only being a day dry, it probably wont be dry right through, so i would say be careful when you move it so that the surface, which will have dried, doest crack.
xx

cas60 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas60 Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 1:45am
post #3 of 5

thanks for the help. I'm not making the fondant myself, i already purchased satin ice vanilla black. I'm also making the wedding cake so I needed to give myself plenty of time.

One option is to remove the fondant and serve it with just the buttercream icing, but I'm afraid that will be messy and unattractive. Do you only put a skim coat (a bit more than the crumb coat) of buttercream ? I've been checking some of the postings and some bakers cover the cake with ganache - I was planning on using ganache for a filling on the wedding cake, but I've never used it to cover the cake.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 1:55am
post #4 of 5

You could test the black fondant...eat a little bit and then look in the mirror icon_biggrin.gif I think fondant is the best option because the almost plastic look of it will be perfect for a hockey puck. I wouldn't remove it for serving...let the guests decide themselves if they want to risk a purple mouth.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 10:42am
post #5 of 5

how thick the layer of bc is, is up to you. some people do a crumb coat, some people do a full thickness layer. it really depends on what you are happy to work with.
xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%