Help With Attaching Wires To Leaves/ivy

Decorating By jenlg Updated 29 Jul 2009 , 9:03pm by Texas_Rose

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 4:31pm
post #1 of 2

Someone out there in CC land surely knows the trick to this. I've tried several times to attach wires to leaves and ivy but they never stay on. I tried sticking them inside the mmf, attaching to the back with gumglue, attaching with a small piece of mmf over the wire....and so on. I've done this before and after drying the pieces and nothing works for me. AHH what am I doing wrong. I'm dumb enough to make my own wedding cake in 3 weeks and I'm wanting to use ivy or leaves with it but its not working. Can someone give me some suggestions please... Tricks of the trade??? Thanks!

1 reply
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 9:03pm
post #2 of 2

It's really hard to get wire to stay in MMF. When I've tried it, just about everything broke or fell off the wires. You should try gumpaste. I use Nicholas Lodge's recipe and you can make a lot of ivy leaves from one batch. They stay on the wire very well, too. Use the thinnest floral wire you can find (usually 26 gauge) and slide the wire into the leaf, then stand it up in a styrofoam block to dry. You can bend the leaves in different ways to make them look more realistic. They'll dry in a day or less. Once they're dry, you can cover the wire with floral tape and tape them into sprays, then dust them with green and brown petal dust, or use grated nontoxic chalk if that's all you have available, then steam them over a pan of boiling water for a few seconds to set the color and give them a shine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%