Lounge By mindy1204 Updated 12 Oct 2009 , 1:04pm by cylstrial

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 6:24am
post #31 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannie

I took Ruth Ricky's class at ICES and she will be on one episode too.

I was surprised to see that one woman from amazing wedding cakes as a judge (the one whol looks like a thinner mama cass icon_razz.gif ). I was never impressed with her work and she certainly isn't in the same league as the people who she is "judging" IMO

lol
shhh.gifher nickname here was jabbadahut

Mama Cass wasn't near as scarey!

lol icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Ashley's cake was awesome. I agree though that if had been brighter and the logo more prominent she would have won for sure. Looking forward to more shows and especially our CC members! icon_smile.gif

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 6:29am
post #32 of 127

Ashleys cake was amazing

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 8:38am
post #33 of 127

Well, Miss Reva...I, for one, am glad to see you got your own shop! aaaaaaaaaaaaand that your took Mark(sp) with you! I absolutely love him! I would love to be able to work side by side with ya'll! (I know...a whole lotta "love" being tossed about but I'm serious about every last one!)

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 1:44pm
post #34 of 127

If the host would stop saying "TEN-----THOUSAND------DOLLARS" I'd appreciate it. It's like he's supposed to be reminding them that's why they're competing every time he says it? I think they know already.

I liked the winning cake best, it was the most aquarium-y, not too dark. It was also cake, not pipes.

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 3:37pm
post #35 of 127

I will be on October 19th with my awesome team of three! It was amazing!

sewlora Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewlora Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 4:07pm
post #36 of 127

one thing I didn't like was how they got stopped twice for individual challenges, and how one person got penalized 30 minutes after each challenge. It just created bad feelings, if you ask me. It's not realistic, to have something like that go on.

Loved the cakes, I love shows like that!!!
thumbs_up.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 4:53pm
post #37 of 127

I'm sure that we will get used to it. It's just different than the food network challenges. I missed Keegan. I didn't like the host's voice. LOL. And it was weird to see a whole team of people working.

But I think it's really cool that there are going to be a bunch of new people on the show.

sewlora Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewlora Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 4:55pm
post #38 of 127

I am definitely looking forward to seeing CC friends on there!

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 5:46pm
post #39 of 127

I really, really do not like the 30 minute stoppage penalty. I liked the idea of the mini-challenges, but would've loved to have seen the winner get an additional 15 minutes decorating time, for instance, instead of having to pick someone to stop working. Honestly, none of the cakes "wowed" me. Ashley's was so dark, Tarik's leaned way too much, and Richard's didn't look as impressive as I'm used to seeing. That said, there is no way I would be able to survive this show as a decorator!

P.S. - I find it interesting that there was a tasting component to the contest, and they were all buttercream, not fondant, covered. If you do a fondant cake, shouldn't the sample be done with fondant, too?

becklynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becklynn Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 6:00pm
post #40 of 127

I was in Ashley's demo (on airbrushing) at the ICES convention last week and also spoke to her in the vendor area - she is super nice!!

Can't wait for the rest of the shows!!

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 6:03pm
post #41 of 127

Im glad someone else didnt like the host's voice! It was just weird. I understand throwing some obstacles in there for drama and all.
But I really dont understand how someone who is an office manager at a cake shop is considered to be an expert. Atleast she took some advice and put some make-up on and brushed her hair atleast. Still needs to have a date with electrolsis though!
And I didnt know that Margaret was so short! I always pictured her to be a lot taller than she is! Glad Im not the only shorty!! lol
I didnt like the end results too much. But if I had to of picked a winner, it would of been Ashleys. It looked like an exibit at the aquarium. The one that won looked like an amateur did it. Even my husband said it looked like it came from a grocery store. Not that I could of done any better, but if your going to pick a winner atleast pick someone that deserved it!!

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 6:07pm
post #42 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by moydear77

I will be on October 19th with my awesome team of three! It was amazing!

I can't wait to see you, I know you can't tell us the outcome but I really hope you win icon_wink.gif

hensor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hensor Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 6:25pm
post #43 of 127

The one thing I like was that they assembled the cakes on those wheelie carts then they just moved them to the judging area. I hate the whole cake moving drama. I can't image in reality that someone would make a 6 foot cake and drive it to an event. But that is just my 2 cents....

FeGe_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FeGe_Cakes Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 6:27pm
post #44 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revale

No comment, but yes.

I love it here! There are so many ideas and great talents!!!!

I am always telling everyone to check out this site because it is awesome and very helpfull!

Congrats on being part of "Amazing Wedding Cakes". So glad to see you on your own this season.

weirkd Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 6:30pm
post #45 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensor

The one thing I like was that they assembled the cakes on those wheelie carts then they just moved them to the judging area. I hate the whole cake moving drama. I can't image in reality that someone would make a 6 foot cake and drive it to an event. But that is just my 2 cents....

I actually thought the same thing. (Atleast they didnt have to pick them up like on FN!) But I was watching another show called Wedding Central and watched Bronwen do just that! They stuck it in a box and drove it over! I emailed her and asked her how they were able to do that and she said that she uses this system from Coastal that she says work well. Her cake was carved into different shapes and had sugar curls coming off the top with stuff hanging off of it and she had no problems! It just makes me too nervous to do that! Especially where I live, the roads suck!

MrsAB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsAB Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 6:42pm
post #46 of 127

Wow! How exciting. I just read this entire thread. I missed the "sneak peek" episode but will watch the re-run tonight. Moydear77, congratulations on your appearance. Looking forward to seeing you. But wait...how are we suppose to know our fellow CCrs if we don't know their real names??? At least, I don't know everyone's name.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 7:28pm
post #47 of 127

Sadly enough, I fell asleep during the show and never got to see the end. Oh well.
(I never fall asleep during anything cake related). Must have been the host's voice. (hehe).

But seriously, I didn't like how the winner of the mini challenge chose one person to sit out for 30 min either.

I think it would be more productive as well if they got the 15 min or something.

dololly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dololly Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 7:45pm
post #48 of 127

icon_rolleyes.gif The ocean is dark on the bottom too. And who made the owner of the CAKE DIVAS shop an expert? Is she a decorator? All the times I have seen that show, she takes orders, and gives orders. I have never seen her with a piping bag in her hand. Have I missed something? The guy from New Orleans last night was obnoxious, I can't believe that horrible cake won because it had a shark "eating cake". BUT...I was not one of the judges. icon_wink.gif

pattigunter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattigunter Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 7:45pm
post #49 of 127

I think if Ashley had placed her Logo right she'd have walked away with that competition. Her cake was so much better than the guy who won icon_biggrin.gif

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 7:54pm
post #50 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie

Just a quick update for you all this show... Keeping watching this season, you will be seeing quite a few CC members that have never been on TV before featured on the show!

I can't wait to see them. How will we know they are our CC buddies?? icon_confused.gif

I enjoyed the show last night. They are so brave to go under that kind of pressure and come up with such beautiful cakes in such a short amount of time. Ashley's cake would have taken me a month, even with help. icon_lol.gif

PieceofCakeAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PieceofCakeAZ Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 8:43pm
post #51 of 127

Ashley got robbed. It shouldn't have even been close.

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 9:00pm
post #52 of 127

I agree, Ashley's cake should have won. The whole time I'm watching this last night I'm thinking, wow, wouldn't it be great to see some of my favorite CCers on this show! Sounds like I will get my wish- YAY!.
And Ms Merci Beaucoup I am LOVING watching you and your team on Amazing Wedding Cakes!!!

costumeczar Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 10:20pm
post #53 of 127

I still think that a winning cake should be cake, not pipes covered in sugar. I'd be interested in hearing the conversation between the judges and the client, who was the one who chose the winner, apparently. She's the only authority in this case, and I would just be interested in hearing her thoughts on it.

And can we please keep comments on personal appearance out of this? Some of the remarks about the judge from Cake Divas (sorry, I can't remember her name) were pretty uncalled for. I don't see how any of that is relevant to a cake contest. A name-calling contest, maybe.

FeGe_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FeGe_Cakes Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 10:23pm
post #54 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by dololly

icon_rolleyes.gif The ocean is dark on the bottom too. And who made the owner of the CAKE DIVAS shop an expert? Is she a decorator? All the times I have seen that show, she takes orders, and gives orders. I have never seen her with a piping bag in her hand. Have I missed something? The guy from New Orleans last night was obnoxious, I can't believe that horrible cake won because it had a shark "eating cake". BUT...I was not one of the judges. icon_wink.gif

Shouldn't he have said it was a "cake eating shark", since he referenced a "man eating shark". icon_confused.gificon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

weirkd Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 10:34pm
post #55 of 127

Ok, Im sorry. Your right, I shouldnt of been making comments about her appearance. When she was on Amazing Cakes there was a thread discussing how being a front man for a cake shop, that she should make herself look presentable.
But I dont think being an office manager has her as a cake authority. She is good at bossing people around and telling them what the client wants, and what she dislikes but I dont think she has the decorating experience. I could be wrong. But watching how she would make the guy cry all the time she just seemed like a big bully. I was glad to see Riva and him go off on their own.
I think Ashley got robbed.
As far as other CCers on here I know of two others. One Im not sure she wants me to tell anyone, and the other has it listed on her blog. She was an assistant for Rebecca Sutterby. Their suppose to not talk about it because they can get into trouble. I guess their allowed to say that they were part of it but not the outcome. Congratulations Moydear! Look forward to seeing you on there!

all4cake Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 10:40pm
post #56 of 127

You're right, I shouldn't have been so quick to JUDGE her looks....she may have such a busy life that she has no time nor the desire to do anything about her looks. There may be medical reasons for her looks even.

I apologize to Ms(or is she a mrs. .... are they both mrs.?) Grode for the attack on her looks (pot calling the kettle black syndrome here, I reckon)

ETA:

I liked the 30 minute penalties...the FN challenges start out with 8 hours...this one started with 9 hours...so, actually, it would be the same as the other 2 being rewarded with an additional 30 minutes each, right? I mean, if compared to the 8 hours challenge of the FN that is...

costumeczar Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 10:59pm
post #57 of 127
Quote:

ETA:

I liked the 30 minute penalties...the FN challenges start out with 8 hours...this one started with 9 hours...so, actually, it would be the same as the other 2 being rewarded with an additional 30 minutes each, right? I mean, if compared to the 8 hours challenge of the FN that is...

Good point! I wonder if they'll do something different for the later shows, since the word would get around that they could be taking time away from you, and people will be prepared to have less than 9 hours.

Maybe they could have the winner go into the other decorators' kitchen and move all of their tools around! That would REALLY screw them up icon_twisted.gif

all4cake Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 11:05pm
post #58 of 127

Yeah, but that could possibly screw up the winner by taking up the time to mess up the loser's kitchen...

Cake-Gal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake-Gal Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 11:22pm
post #59 of 127
Quote:

Except according to what I've read on CC, the cakes had to be at least 5-6 ft. tall and other criteria not required on the Food Network (only requires 3 ft. tall) so the extra team members might make up for that. Plus it looked like the challengers were totally surprised by the time taken out to participate in the mini-challenges and sit-outs so their cakes would have been designed with the full 9 hours in mind (with a little less for talking with judges, etc.).

IMO, the items that need fixed on this show are:

1) Give the contestants the full time to do great cakes.
2) Get rid of the massive amounts of non-edible filler materials--it's called the Ultimate "Cake" Off.
3) Let each judge (not just the client) have an equal say in the winning cake. A layperson might know what appeals to them visually, but not the difficulty of techniques involved or the quality of execution displayed.

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 11:30pm
post #60 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Maybe they could have the winner go into the other decorators' kitchen and move all of their tools around! That would REALLY screw them up icon_twisted.gif

Now, that it just plain evil icon_evil.gif I don't know you, but I get really upset when my kids or DH interrupt me from decorating a cake, I loose my concentration and I need a few minutes to get back in "the zone" (as my DH calls it) so for me, all those interruptions are just annoying and should be enough punishment for the contestants, the thought of messing with their kitchens is just icon_evil.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%