Martha Stewart.. U R Killin Me!! I Need Help!

Decorating By alwaysbridal Updated 29 Jul 2009 , 1:14pm by __Jamie__

alwaysbridal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alwaysbridal Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 3:42am
post #1 of 6

I feel Horrible, but I've tried several times to upload this picture from martha Stewart's site but after 2 hrs I give up! The cake I have questions on is on her site www.marthstewartweddings.com.
The name of the cake is, with a flourish, and its in Something blue cakes or you can do a search for with a flourish. I love this cake so I'm excited to do it for a bride that requested it, but I'm finding myself a little overwhelmed. she is only having 200 guests, so I plan to use a few cake dummies. But here are the questions.....
*What size cakes do you think they used, 14,12,10,8,6?
*What layers should I do Dummies? the 4th?
*With the floating layers for layers 2 and 4 do I use a regular cardboard cake board underneath? I've never done floating tiers before?
*The small 2" layers they used, I was thinking of using 2" specialty ordered cake dummies? I think that will add support, plus I dont need the xtra cake?
*Should I do a standard stacking construction? using dowels on each layer and then buying a large wooden dowel that I can purchase at a craft store that can be sharpened at one end and inserted with tapping of a hammer through the cakes, boards, and dummies?
*Would you construct the cake there (stack and dowel) or just do it before delivery? I will have about 5 miles to travel?Please Help! icon_confused.gif
Thanks for all your time,effort and help!!

5 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 4:05am
post #2 of 6

Can you go to the page with the picture on it and copy the link? Paste it here. Your link isn't working.

__Jamie__ Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 4:13am
post #3 of 6

http://www.marthastewartweddings.com/article/calligraphy-and-cakes-with-a-flourish?autonomy_kw=flourish&rsc=image_6

Is it this one? There are instructions to do the designs. Tracing with royal icing on parchment and applied after it dries.

Here is a link to the Wilton serving guidelines. http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

You can figure out which sizes to make with that.

The smaller shorter spacers in between the tiers are probably styrofoam disks, or foam core cut to the appropriate size and wrapped in stain ribbon. You would support them like a normal cake tier.

As a matter of fact, upon closer inspection, she has all the templates there to download. Easy peasy. Better practice piping, and make a whole bunch of extras to account for breakage. This is a seriously detailed cake. Good luck, and don't forget to post pics!

You can transport fully assembled if you can handle lifting that much weight and you drive carefully. I strongly recommend SPS for this one. You can find an SPS how to on the How Do I forum, right near the top.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 4:15am
post #4 of 6

It took a little doing to track down the cake but you're right, the lack of info is maddening. They've got templates to download, but I didn't see any mention of tier sizes.

I think for the 2" ones you might just use squares of 1/2" foamcore glued together to save the expense of the specially ordered 2" dummies. You could also use the 1/2" foamcore for the boards on the floating tiers.

alwaysbridal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alwaysbridal Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 5:25am
post #5 of 6

Ya, the piping and string work is the easy part its all the other things i'm worried about!! Thanks for the tips. I appreciate your time

__Jamie__ Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 1:14pm
post #6 of 6

Look at the hand holding one of the pieces. Look at the piping bag. You can judge pretty closely by laying out a piping bag, and estimating how big one of those pieces is. Then count off how many of those fit across the side of any one tier. You can nail it from there.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%