Buying Wholesale Cakes

Business By pieceofcake20 Updated 23 Jun 2017 , 2:57am by Girl_withthepinkhair85

muddpuppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muddpuppy Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 8:43pm
post #31 of 42

Ok, I whole hartedly believe that you do what you can. I purchase all kinds of stuff premade!!
I have and will continue to purchase my fondant. I won't even try to make my own fondant. For the amount I use it's taste and is cost effective and I like it! I've purchase buttercream and add my own flavourings be it mint or fruit or liquor! I just can't find a buttercream recipe that dosen't taste like powdered sugar and grease. (That I can make that is.. lol..) And yes!! I have purchased uniced frozen premade cakes! I don't do it often but I do do it. I make no claims to my customers about me personally making or baking cakes and/or frostings or fillings. I say why not? If it works for you..do it...

kimmerly1966 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmerly1966 Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 6:50pm
post #32 of 42

What is GFS? icon_smile.gif THanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

You can order uniced cakes from GFS. (I samples one of their cakes in-store one day and told them "The cake is ok, but your icing sucks." They quickly told me I could order cakes uniced.)

I think it's all about whatever you want to do. Buying premade icing ..... buying premade fondant ..... buying premade cakes. If someone can explain the difference, I'm all ears.

Personal preference. And I think you can come up with an argument for and against on every issue.

I've done it before. When I first got started, decades ago, I had a really busy month. I bought pre-baked cakes from the local bakery that month. I iced and decorated them.

And for the record, I DETEST the word "cheating" on here. "Cheating" implies doing something wrong ... something illegal .... something you can get busted for. Using a cake mix or a pre-baked cake is not illegal, last time I looked.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 6:59pm
post #33 of 42
kimmerly1966 Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 7:05pm
post #34 of 42

Thanks icon_smile.gif
\\

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkraft

http://www.gfs.com/

kimmerly1966 Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 8:01pm
post #35 of 42

They dont ship and dont have any store in San Diego, CA icon_sad.gif

BethLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BethLS Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 12:41am
post #36 of 42

Debi,

I just have to say, along with so many others on here, that you are my hero!

You need to write a book! And will when you do, will you sign a copy for me? icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 12:48am
post #37 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by BethLS

You need to write a book! And will when you do, will you sign a copy for me? icon_biggrin.gif

interesting. If you check my facebook page, I recently made an entry about people making this comment to me. icon_rolleyes.gif

Michelle84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle84 Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 1:09am
post #38 of 42

I know for a fact our local Woolworths uses Bakels mud cake mixes for their cakes (my friend used to work there, and her friend still does), and they taste divine! You can buy blank cakes from them, and they'll even bake using your tins if you prefer.
If I had my own transport I would definitely purchase the pre-baked cakes instead of baking them myself as I really don't enjoy the baking process. I like the decorating process and if I could just do that I'd be 100% happy!

Shop around your local grocery stores until you find a flavour you're happy with and see if they'd be willing to sell them to you wholesale.

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 3:11am
post #39 of 42

Indydebi, I know your life is incredibly busy right now, but I hope you let everyone know when that book comes out. icon_biggrin.gif I'll be in line for a copy.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 3:26am
post #40 of 42

Also keep in mind that if you have repeat customers and you change your cake (going from making your own to purchasing from somewhere else or vice versa) they are probably going to notice the difference. Be prepared to explain it.

I would definitely recommend hiring an assistant to bake your recipes before using cakes from somewhere else. Also, the general consensus around here when someone says they are getting slammed with orders is to raise your prices.

Sonal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sonal Posted 16 Oct 2010 , 6:18pm
post #41 of 42

Hey... not sure if it's already been suggested but a couple of things might help:

- I found it really useful to hire an assistant and in the beginning even paid cash in hand
- You can always invest in a big chest freezer and have a big baking session once every fortnight and freeze the cakes as slabs? That way you've still baked the cakes yourself, but it might help with the time management?

Girl_withthepinkhair85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Girl_withthepinkhair85 Posted 23 Jun 2017 , 2:57am
post #42 of 42

Since this is such an old post, no one probably cares. Lol. I have found myself in a similar situation. I HATE baking. However I'm just learning. I worked for a large grocery store for many years...they have the best cake! I'm pretty picky too. For practice I'm getting frozen cakes. I was even thinking about getting Styrofoam to practice on. 

Personally, if you think the cake tasted good. It's up to your standard.. I don't see why using a pre-made cake is a big deal. A wedding cake- people are looking for looks! Fondant is gross anyway. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%