Would Love To Try Fondant!!!

Decorating By tab26852 Updated 28 Jul 2009 , 11:46am by tab26852

tab26852 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tab26852 Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 1:52am
post #1 of 5

I have only been doing cakes for a few months mainly for family and friends and have never tried fondant would love to try it but don't even know where to begin. can someone tell me what are the main tools you need( basics) and the best or easiest fondant to work with.

4 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 2:51am
post #2 of 5

First of all, I suggest you buy ready made fondant, that way you know the consistency of fondant. I would guess you already have metal spatulas so I would recommend you getting a rolling pin and smoothers if you don't have one yet. As far as decorating fondant cakes, you can start with cutters and gumpaste.

flourpowerMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flourpowerMN Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 3:56am
post #3 of 5

When you're ready to make your own, I suggest starting with the MMF recipe (marshmallow fondant) here on the site. It's very easy and practically foolproof.

The first time I made fondant, I just covered a small round cake (6" I think) for practice. Cut out some polka dots & stars and called it good.

Fondant isn't as scary as it looks...just start small & work your way up. Oh, and have fun!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 5:17am
post #4 of 5

Besides the great help here on CC there are many tutorials available on line. Here are just a couple of them (youtube is a great source for cake decorating):

HTH! icon_smile.gif

tab26852 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tab26852 Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 11:46am
post #5 of 5

thanks everyone I think I'm ready to give it a try. We'll let you know how it turns out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%