Fondant Question?

Decorating By Chris1203 Updated 1 Aug 2009 , 5:41am by Butterfly325

Chris1203 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chris1203 Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 3:35pm
post #1 of 13

Hi all!
I am new to the site and cake decorating. I have thoroughly enjoyed looking at all of your beautiful work. And I have spent way too much time doing so! I tried mmf this weekend for the first time. I used the easy mmf recipe posted on the site (uses mm fluff). It was actually not too hard to work with, however, it came out very shiny! I spread a thin layer of crisco on both the rolling out surface and the rolling pin. Do you think this was the cause of the shiny problem? If not, was it the fluff? Thank you for any in put you can offer!

12 replies
kokopuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kokopuff Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 4:27pm
post #2 of 13

Sounds like the crisco could be your problem,try adding some powdered sugar or if it is already on the cake you might be able to wipe it off with a paper towel.I just started using mmf but I use the recipe for Rhonda's Ultimate mmf.It's not quite as sweet and I have never had a problem with it being shiny.Also welcome to cake central! This is the best site ever,I have learned a lot as I am sure you will too! icon_biggrin.gif

scoutmamma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scoutmamma Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 5:32pm
post #3 of 13

how and when do you add color??? and do you use the wilton gelatin color??? I am trying Rhonda's Ultimate MMF...

Thank you so much for any answers i can get!!

Lisaa1996 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisaa1996 Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 5:59pm
post #4 of 13

I love Rhonda's MMF...I also use Michele Foster's fondant which is great! I add the color to the melted marshmallows, before I add the powdered sugar. Much easier that way if you want the whole batch the same color. Otherwise, take a piece of the fondant and work in color after the fondant is done. I use the Wilton's colors but I am going to try the Americolor's soon because I have to use WAYYYYY too much color for my bright colors with Wilton.

scoutmamma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scoutmamma Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 6:17pm
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisaa1996

I love Rhonda's MMF...I also use Michele Foster's fondant which is great! I add the color to the melted marshmallows, before I add the powdered sugar. Much easier that way if you want the whole batch the same color. Otherwise, take a piece of the fondant and work in color after the fondant is done. I use the Wilton's colors but I am going to try the Americolor's soon because I have to use WAYYYYY too much color for my bright colors with Wilton.

THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH~ I was wondering how i was going to do this... i have 5 colors to make... so this should be fun. I am thinking about using premade fondant for the little accents... so i dont have to make as much. Thanks again.

Chris1203 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chris1203 Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 6:56pm
post #6 of 13

I added the color after I made the entire batch. I had several colors to make and wasn't sure how to break down the batch in order to make all of the colors I needed. I did use the Wilton gel colors and I was actually happy about how the color distributed. Maybe in rolling out, I should try using PS instead of shortening? Or just a different MMF recipe?

ginger001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ginger001 Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 7:39pm
post #7 of 13

I use MMF everytime I do a cake and it is very workable and tastes very good in comparison to Wilton's Fondant.

Lisaa1996 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisaa1996 Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 9:42pm
post #8 of 13

When I roll it, I actually grease the counter with Crisco then put down a good amount of PS and then grease my hands. It doesn't stick but it's not shiny either. I keep adding crisco when dry and ps when too greasy and it works out well. HTH

Butterfly325 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Butterfly325 Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 4:12am
post #9 of 13

I tried making MMF but it was too difficult to work with. It was very hard to roll out, just felt like I as trying to flatten out a really puffy pillow. What did I do wrong??? I ended up throwing it away.

ALVARGA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALVARGA Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 12:26pm
post #10 of 13

If your MMF was too hard to work with you probabaly kneaded in too much powdered sugar. I knead in only enough to make it a soft but still workable fondant. As it sits onvenight it firms up. It take a little practice but once you get it, it is rally easy to work with. Hope this helps.

Butterfly325 Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 3:29pm
post #11 of 13

Thank you! They may have been it. It was just really sticky, like sticking to the counter in chunks sticky. I'll try it again.

kokopuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kokopuff Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 5:41pm
post #12 of 13

I usually don't use all the p.sugar the recipe calls for.I just knead it until it's not sticky,usually about 4- 5 cups,don't be precise just knead it until it's not sticky and firms up a bit.If your having problems with it sticking to the counter try rubbing a dab of shortening on the fondant and your hands then dusting your work surface with a little p.sugar.Also I wanted to say that I always use generic mm,ps and shortening but be sure you get all vegetable shortening.Also on Rhonda's fondant the recipe calls for a 15oz bag but they come in 16,still works fine and I sometimes cut down on the ingredients and use a 10 oz bag of mm's just be sure to cut back on the liquid a bit. icon_smile.gif

Butterfly325 Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 5:41am
post #13 of 13

thank you icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%