Smoothing Buttercream Frosting

Decorating By devillediva Updated 27 Jul 2009 , 2:55am by Shelly4481

devillediva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
devillediva Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 11:51pm
post #1 of 4

I've tried a couple of different receipes for frosting but haven't found one that I can ice a cake nice and easy & very smooth. Any suggestions? Or is it all in the application techique?

3 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 1:40am
post #2 of 4

Hi and Welcome to CC, devillediva. icon_smile.gif

Decoding CC acronyms:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926-.html

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

The above superthread contains popular CC recipes for American buttercreams, several types of fondant and doctored cake mix (WASC with flavor options).

In addition, there is baking, smoothing and assembly help. And so much more...

It's a long read...

HTH

TOMAY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TOMAY Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 2:51am
post #3 of 4

If you are looking for a tutorial try purchasing sugarshacks buttercream dvd it comes with a recipe. The last cake I made I used her meathod and I thought it did much better .

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 2:55am
post #4 of 4

When I was a beginner I didn't know much, till I got on this site, you will learn alot. The trick I learned is let the frosting set for a while then take a viva paper towel and put it on the cake and rub with a fondant smoother, your hand can work too but the smoother works the best. Rub it over the paper towel and take the towl off the cake. It is smooth underneath. Sometimes when I do this and it has rained recently, it takes a long time before the frosting is not sticky and can smooth out. This is the best invention ever!!! But your frosting has to be one that crust then you can smooth it out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%