Terrible At Everything :( Please Help.

Decorating By dancing2thatbeat Updated 27 Jul 2009 , 5:57pm by dancing2thatbeat

dancing2thatbeat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dancing2thatbeat Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 10:21pm
post #1 of 15

Hello CC community icon_lol.gif

As you can tell I am new here. I am a young, new cake decorator with dreams of becoming a pastry chef (of course I'm only 15). A few months ago I picked up this hobby and have been addicted ever since! icon_biggrin.gif

But...even though I love it too death. I'm "terrible" at it. I have my good cakes and bad cakes but usually they are bad. icon_cry.gif

I have pictures of what I need help with and all my fondant problems....Hope these help you help me.

First off, My cakes always have this weird sweaty liquid on top of them...

Secondly, on the bottom edge of the cake, where I try to apply the fondant always drapes werid and I always get this when I try to smooth it.

Oh there is more, I also always have nasty air bubbles on the top and sides of the cake!

Most of all, the cakes always look unlevel and tippy and just plain gross...

So basically everything I do is a disaster icon_redface.gif this is really embaressing but I need a lot of help! I have seen all these gorgeous cakes on here and I am so envious of everybody. I want to be as talented as all of you someday. But I guess you have to start somewhere right?

14 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 10:27pm
post #2 of 15

Hi and Welcome to CC, dancing2thatbeat. icon_smile.gif

Decoding CC acronyms:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926-.html

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

HTH

AnitaK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnitaK Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 10:43pm
post #3 of 15

Have you taken any cake decorating classes? Wilton offers classes at Michael's and at JoAnn's.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 10:45pm
post #4 of 15

Hi,

I don't think you're as bad as you're thinking icon_biggrin.gif

How are you leveling the cakes? I use the cheap wilton leveler, it looks like a wire stretched across a frame and it costs less than five dollars at Walmart.

Also, do you let the cake settle for a while before you put the fondant on? I usually bake, cool and fill one day, then crumbcoat and fondant the next day. That helps with the airbubbles and also helps the sides look more straight.

Here's my trick to get rid of the weird wrinkles on the sides...put the cake on a board that's the exact size of the cake, then set that on something smaller in diameter (for example a coffee can or a smaller cake pan). Then when you put the fondant on, the strange wrinkles will form below the cake and you can cut them off. That also helps you get a perfect bottom edge, because you can wrap the fondant under the cake board a little bit. Once your fondant is smooth and trimmed, pick up the cake, board and all, and put it on a larger, decorated board. To get your fingers out from underneath without messing up the edge, hold the cake at an angle with one hand and put a spatula underneath with the other, then take your other hand out from under the cake and use the spatula to lower it to the board.

Anyhow, you're doing fine...all you need is practice, and a little patience with yourself while you're practicing.

cvigil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cvigil Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 10:55pm
post #5 of 15

Are you putting your cakes in the fridge? Condensation builds up and will make your cake sweat. As far as fondant goes, it's all about practice and experience. You'll get it. I know how you feel. We all have our good and bad days. Just don't give up. icon_wink.gif

Sox-n-Pats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sox-n-Pats Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 11:39pm
post #6 of 15

here's another thought-

It looks like the top of the cake in the photo is the top of the cake as it comes out of the oven. Am I right?

Flip it over. The BOTTOM of the cake from the pan should be the top of your cake. The two tops go together to get iced in the middle.

This makes for an even bottom and an even top and sides. Then it shouldn't seem like the fondant is bulging at the bottom. It should lay nicer along the sides and won't form that break.

Some people set the cake on a coffee tin, or canister.... something smaller than the cakeboard and cake, but higher and then put the fondant on, so the fondant hangs evenly.

Smooth the top first, then smooth the sides from the top down (I like to use my hands and 'cup' the cake- smoothing the top edge and then moving my hands straight down the sides, then I go around along the bottom, making a crease against the counter.) This will also keep it from needing to "overlap"

Put the cake back on the counter and cut the excess along the counter.

(((I actually use a vinyl mat, or my corian cutting board- not the actual counter, but for explanation purposes, I used the word counter for ease))) icon_smile.gif

Just keep practicing!! You're doing fine- especially at 15 yrs old!

OUMOX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OUMOX Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 12:37am
post #7 of 15

Can you please repost the link to the everything you need to know about decorating a cake link? I can't get it to work and I'd love to see the information! Thanks!

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 12:45am
post #8 of 15

welcome!

on the "wierd shiney" problem icon_smile.gif....

while you can fridge a fondant cake, if you are covering it and then fridging it, the moisture has no where to go and gets sucked up by the fondant which makes it moist, sticky, and shiny.

if you put a fondant cake in the fridge: bring it to room temp in a cool room (air conditioned is a plus). this will help minimize or eliminate the condensation (i don't get it at all in my a/c room).

diane

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 1:50am
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUMOX

Can you please repost the link to the everything you need to know about decorating a cake link? I can't get it to work and I'd love to see the information! Thanks!

Sorry.... icon_redface.gif

(Edited my original post to contain the correct link.)

HTH

dancing2thatbeat Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 2:05am
post #10 of 15

Thanks to everyone who has already posted! I willdefinitely try all of your tips as soon as possible!

One other question though, should I use store bought fondant instead? It always seems to look better... :/

Texas_Rose Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 2:14am
post #11 of 15

I use marshmallow fondant and it comes out looking fine. I've actually never tried the store-bought stuff because the MMF is cheaper and I've been pleased with it.

dancing2thatbeat Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 3:34am
post #12 of 15

Thanks icon_smile.gif I have been using MMF also, but it its can be tempermental (with me atleast). I would be very greatful if you would tell me the MMF recipe you use icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 4:39am
post #13 of 15

This is the one that I use: http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm I always use 1/4 cup of water in it, or sometimes I'll use 3 tablespoons of water and 1 tablespoon of clear vanilla.

dancing2thatbeat Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 5:57pm
post #14 of 15

Thank you so much! icon_biggrin.gif

dancing2thatbeat Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 5:57pm
post #15 of 15

Thank you so much! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%