Ugh! 1St Cake "square" Disappointment- Please Help

Decorating By dragonsky18 Updated 24 Jul 2009 , 4:18pm by underthesun

dragonsky18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonsky18 Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 8:29pm
post #1 of 3

We attempted our first fondant covered cake for the Fourth of July several weeks back. The bottom tier was a white circle with red stripes that we had no problems with at all (other than trying to space all thirteen evenly and "painting" each one with water so it would stick which was a little time consuming). We actually couldn't believe how smoothly it went for our first cake.
Then we moved on to covering the second tier which was supposed to be a blue square covered with white stars. Sounds simple enough but oh what a disaster it turned out to be! No matter what we did, we could not get the fondant to lay properly- it kept bunching up on the corners then it started ripping and turned into a huge mess! Eventually we gave up trying to fix it and just baked another circular top tier. This was the final product- not what I envisioned but ok for our first one.
I'm a newbie to fondant so I was hoping someone could tell me what the trick is to covering a square shaped tier (or any other odd shapes). And, if you do rip the fondant, is there any good way to fix it other than covering it up? Thanks!

2 replies
jimandmollie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jimandmollie Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 1:53am
post #2 of 3

Wow! Your first cake looks great! Kudos to you!

My only suggestion for your covering a square cake with fondant is to start with the corners and get lots of practice! It has taken me forever and I still am not perfect. It has gotten a bit easier though..... icon_smile.gif

underthesun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
underthesun Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 4:18pm
post #3 of 3

Here's a utube video. She's quick and makes it look so easy, but it does take practice. Don't give up! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%