How Do I Do This?

Decorating By preciosa225 Updated 23 Jul 2009 , 3:08am by preciosa225

preciosa225 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
preciosa225 Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 2:32am
post #1 of 5

I have seen this on many cakes here on cc but I don't even know what to call it. It is the teared paper look (I think that's how I'd explain it) where there is something "Popping" out. How do I make the yellow starburst/teared paper pieces like the ones in this photo? Please help. I cannot even search it in the forums because I don't know what they are called! icon_cry.gif
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1264019.html

TIA

4 replies
mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 2:43am
post #2 of 5

It might be gumpaste that was cut into triangles, then dried over (or in) a curved object - flower formers would probably be perfect if you have them or maybe the side of a glass. I think anything round that would give you the right shape would work. If you look at the pieces in the back, they look like triangles that are just set around Elmo.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 2:43am
post #3 of 5

I call it a 'burst'. There are a couple of ways to do it.

Cut out a bunch of thin fondant triangle shapes and let them dry over a rounded surface like a tube or bottle. Cover your cake with fondant. Cut a hole in the center of the fondant and remove it. Glue the triangles to the inside of the fondant circle.

Or...

Before covering the whole cake in fondant, place a circle of fondant where your burst will be. Cover your cake with fondant being careful not to let the fondant stick to your circle. Lightly mark a circle in your fondant. Cut wedges, like you're slicing a pie, from the center to the edge of the circle. Fold the wedges back to reveal the fondant circle underneath. You can then glue a few extra triangles in there for a more shredded look.

Hope this helps!

preciosa225 Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 3:07am
post #4 of 5

Thanks sooo much! I had a basic idea but needed to make sure because it is always the simple things that seem to eat me alive when I'm actually decorating a cake! icon_lol.gif

Your instruction made so much sense to me and took away my fear of trying it. Thanks again all!

Cari

preciosa225 Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 3:08am
post #5 of 5

Thanks sooo much! I had a basic idea but needed to make sure because it is always the simple things that seem to eat me alive when I'm actually decorating a cake! icon_lol.gif

Your instructions made so much sense to me and took away my fear of trying it. Thanks again all!

Cari

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%