Bettercream Users - Some Questions

Decorating By basketlacey Updated 22 Jul 2009 , 4:40pm by basketlacey

basketlacey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
basketlacey Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 2:35pm
post #1 of 3

I was thinking of going to Sam's to get some bettercream to use for my dd's birthday cake instead of making my normal buttercream icing. Before I do, I have some questions:

1) Do I need to doctor the bettercream for taste or texture? Also, if I don't doctor it, can I decorate with it? Is it stiff enough for borders and such?

2) How big is the container from Sam's? I am trying to figure out if I have the space in the freezer.

3) Any other tips or recipes I should try?

TIA!

2 replies
MrsMabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMabe Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 3:01pm
post #2 of 3

We used Bettercream at the bakery I used to work at. I think it tastes better than buttercream. Less sweet. It actually tastes similar to ice cream while it's still frozen.

BUT. I think it's harder to decorate with. It's softer, so it's harder to get the shapes and crisp edges I like. If it's left at room temperature, it crumbles when you try to pipe it. Also, you can't really change the consistency of it. So roses are a nightmare! It's also harder to color, IMO. It's difficult to get the color consistent without overmixing. If you overmix it, it turns runny. Even if you didn't add too much color. It's just very finicky stuff.

If I was doing a simple design, I'd go with Bettercream for the taste. Anything in the least bit complicated, I'd vote buttercream 100%.

basketlacey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
basketlacey Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 4:40pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks for the advice! I have read a lot about it but most posters I think were covering with fondant which I am not doing. I am still a newbie so I don't want to make my life even harder.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%