The Big Blue Blob. A Fondant Disaster.

Decorating By bpshirley Updated 22 Jul 2009 , 4:53pm by bpshirley

bpshirley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bpshirley Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 1:32pm
post #1 of 6

I covered a three tiered square wedding cake with light blue fondant. I must have put too much frosting under the Satin Ice fondant. By the end of the day the fondant was sagging and Cracking! By the next morning, it was a Big Blue Blob. Go to my gallery to see a picture - bpshirley-

Sadly but thankfully the wedding had been cancelled and the bride had just not bothered to tell us. The cake tasted pretty good. =)

Does anyone have any experience/advice to share with me so I never do this again? I cover cakes with MMF all the time but have not used Satin Ice very often. Help please.
Pam

5 replies
Cheyanne25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cheyanne25 Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 1:48pm
post #2 of 6

I always put a generous layer of butter cream or ganache under my satin ice, but I have to make sure that it is well chilled (and firm) before I try and cover it with the fondant, or else the weight of the fondant drags it down and makes it crack like that.

Not to many situations where we can actually be GLAD the bride didn't need the cake lol, glad it worked out for you that way at least.

Toptier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toptier Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 2:38pm
post #3 of 6

I had this happen to me once when I used IMBC under fondant (too thick a layer) and left the cake in the car (it was a cool day and I thought it would be ok) for a few hours. Well, even on a cool day the heat in the car caused the IMBC to soften and the weight of the fondant pulled it down, down. It's gravity and softness, baby.

It could be that the temp in your room was just a little high, and combined with a thick layer of bc AND a thick layer of heavy fondant did this to you. I'm so sorry! I don't think it had anything to do with it being Satin Ice, though.

What type of BC were you using?

bpshirley Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 3:13pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks so much for your input. =)
It was a hot and humid Alabama weekend and I used a non dairy creamer plus Crisco frosting. It usually stands up to the heat but the fondant was probably too heavy.
so sad...

DenaB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DenaB Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 3:22pm
post #5 of 6

I've never had any luck with satin ice. I just try to never use it. It always cracks or dries out on the surface. Pettinice does the same thing. If you mix candy clay into the fondant it will retain the shape better and that will add enough fat to the fondant to keep it from drying out so much. I use my own fondant recipe and it's a basic fondant with white chocolate added...so same thing. I only use satin ice for the decorations on cakes that are black or red...because they don't taste bitter

did you refrigerate your cakes before you coverd them and then let them come to room temperature with the fondant on them...that could have caused the fondant to slide if the cakes were cold and then became warm.

bpshirley Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 4:53pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for responding =)
I see you live in Texas, so your climate is probably similar to mine. I do freeze my cakes for about 10 minutes before I apply the fondant.
Hmmmm. Might have to rethink that.
Thanks[/u]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%