Sugar Clay Guns?

Decorating By tootie0809 Updated 21 Jul 2009 , 5:57pm by tootie0809

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 4:55pm
post #1 of 4

I have a clay "gun" I bought from Michael's a while ago. It is a shiny metal clay extruder with a bunch of little disks. It works okay for most things. The fondant or gumpaste occasionally gets stuck in the tube and it's a pain to wash and get it out. Plus it's pretty small. The barrel is maybe 4-5 inches. However, it was only $11, so I'm not complaining too much.

I've seen the "Sugar Gun" from GSA that has the handle on it. It's a lot more expensive than this little one I have, but I've read this one is made for sugar work. Is this gun really worth the money? For those who have one and have used the smaller clay guns from the craft stores, how does this gun compare to those? I'm really thinking of buying the nicer one if it is truly worth the money and is truly a lot better than the one I have now. Thanks for any opinions! icon_smile.gif

3 replies
Lee15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lee15 Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 5:16pm
post #2 of 4

My first clay gun was the small one from a hobby store that sort of operated like a syringe. It killed my fingers to push fondant or gumpaste through it. I now have the one by Makins - it's green. I found it on the internet for $20. Works like a charm.

tootie0809 Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 5:56pm
post #3 of 4

I've seen that green one from Makins at one of the craft stores here and thought about buying that one. I've thought about getting that one too, but I don't know which is better, the Makins gun or the sugar gun. Thanks for info. It's good to know there is a better option out there than what I have now.

tootie0809 Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 5:57pm
post #4 of 4

I've seen that green one from Makins at one of the craft stores here and thought about buying that one. I've thought about getting that one too, but I don't know which is better, the Makins gun or the sugar gun. Thanks for info. It's good to know there is a better option out there than what I have now.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%