When To Start Baking, Icing, Etc. For Cake Order???

Decorating By klallen21 Updated 21 Jul 2009 , 8:55pm by klallen21

klallen21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klallen21 Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 2:27pm
post #1 of 4

I'm curious...

When do you all begin preparing for a cake order? I don't really have the extra freezer room for big cakes I make, so I usually make them the day before an order is due.

How far in advance do you all begin if you don't plan on freezing anything?

BTW, the cakes I'm referring to are iced with BC. (I've heard with fondant -mmf- the cake is still fresh 3 days ahead of time...never tried that tho).

Thanks for the input!!

3 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 2:43pm
post #2 of 4

Hi there, I don't take more than 3 orders for a week. If its for saturday, I bake all three cakes on thursday. Then torte and fill thursday night. Friday ice/ fondant the cakes and decorate. So always bake cakes two days ahead.

When I take orders, I always ask for 2 weeks notice. But there are few times that I had to take orders a week before. I do that if I'm not busy.

The reason that I ask for 2 weeks notice is that, I can prepare for it realy well. If I have to make flowers/ figures, I have plenty time to do them and let them dry properly.

HTH. icon_biggrin.gif

kokopuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kokopuff Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 3:56pm
post #3 of 4

It depends on what size cake a I am making.I just did my largest cake ever and waited almost too long about getting started because I haven't got the space either,it was a 4 tiered wedding cake.I started on Sun. it was for Sat.,baking and baked for 3 days and made icing for 2 days of course I also had to go to work during this and stop for other things,kids etc.had to take a trip to the er.,then filled,leveled and iced,and still I was finishing up on Sat.morning.I was up until very late hours most every night.If I ever do a cake that large again I will start atleast 2 weeks ahead and beg and borrow any freezer space I can find! I have a new found respect for these ladies who bake and decoreate these kind of cakes all the time!cause geeeeeeez that's a lot of work!!!!!!!!!

klallen21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klallen21 Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 8:55pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for all the good input!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%