Cake Boss-How Can They Stack All Of Those Layers And Not Use

Decorating By Peridot Updated 22 Jul 2009 , 11:33pm by stephaniescakenj

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 1:34pm
post #1 of 10

a stiffened buttercream dam before filling???

I sat there last night and watched as they threw those cakes on the table, slathered tons of BC or other fillings between the layers and put on layer after layer of cake (and large cakes too) and no BC dam.

I don't see any bulges in their fondants or sagging cakes. What the heck!!!! I know that there are many of us that use the BC dam (Sugarshack, JenniferMI, Edna) so how do they get by with not doing that?

9 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 2:27pm
post #2 of 10

There are a lot of people who don't use a dam and still have successful results. I remember from one of the challenges that Buddy had problems with buldging. I think it was because of the heat though.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 2:50pm
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RylanTy

There are a lot of people who don't use a dam and still have successful results. I remember from one of the challenges that Buddy had problems with buldging. I think it was because of the heat though.

Yeah the problems buddy had int he last challenge were because he finished way early, and then the cake was just sitting there under those hot TV lights, so it basically started to melt and sag--NOT normal conditions at all lol.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 3:41pm
post #4 of 10

after everything Buddy does, after each step the cakes go back into the cooler to firm up. You can get different results from cooler temperatures that you could never acheive in higher temps. If your cake will be out at room temperature then a stiff dam will help keep your cake from setteling and slouching in the heat.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 3:42pm
post #5 of 10

I don't dam.....sometimes, but very rarely, if I'm using a filling other than the same BC that went on as icing, then yeah, I dam. Dam it. icon_biggrin.gif

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 4:16pm
post #6 of 10

AHHH - very interesting.
I do notice that they are always putting in in the cooler.
Thanks for all the info - it was driving me nuts!!

I hate that dam damming - what can you use so that you don't have to dam - if I am not going to use the same BC that I ice with?

CCCTina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CCCTina Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 5:08pm
post #7 of 10

Also, do you see them use internal supports? I have been wondering how they travel with the tiered cakes fully assembled. The one that fell down the stairs didn't appear to have a central dowel.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 6:23pm
post #8 of 10

I think it is just part of the building that we don't see. He used support in challenges and in a few of the carved cakes we saw being constructed on the show had some major support including the Toy Store cake. Those toy soldiers where screwed to the base throught their bases. I just think all the support for the average teired cake is just not filmed or is edited out. People really want to see the decorating anyhow.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 10:35pm
post #9 of 10
stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 11:33pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTina

Also, do you see them use internal supports? I have been wondering how they travel with the tiered cakes fully assembled. The one that fell down the stairs didn't appear to have a central dowel.

My 5 yr old watched that episode with me and the first thing she said after yelling as she watched the cake fly down the stairs was "mommy, why didn't they use the stick thing in the middle?" and I thought the same thing... it looked like they used masonite boards to seperate the tiers so unless they precut holes, I'm not sure they could have used a center dowel but with a cake that size, who it their right mind wouldn't use one?!?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%