My Round Cakes Keep Falling Apart

Decorating By MarieF Updated 23 Jul 2009 , 2:22am by MarieF

MarieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MarieF Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 12:15pm
post #1 of 7

Everytime I use my 10" 8" and 6" round pans, no matter how long/short I leave them in the pan, the cake always comes out crumbly or falling apart. It doesn't do that when I use any other shaped pan, just the round ones.

I am using cake release, and wrapping the bake-even strips around them. The recipe is the same as well.

Am I doing something wrong? Is it the pans? Please help icon_smile.gif I had to throw away 6 cakes this weekend icon_sad.gif

6 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 12:52pm
post #2 of 7

I am not sure why. I have a cake recipe and with that recipe, I shouldn't use baking strips because it will be too moist and it will crumble.

kokopuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kokopuff Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 4:23pm
post #3 of 7

Are you using a scratch recipe or a box mix? This always happened to me when I used pillsbury cake mix.It taste the best but is way too moist.I now use duncan hines because it is firmer and holds up a lot better for carved cakes.

MarieF Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 11:49am
post #4 of 7

I am using Duncan Hines cake mix icon_smile.gif

kokopuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kokopuff Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 4:32pm
post #5 of 7

Are you only using the strips on the round pans?I tried the method of turning down the temp.to 325' on my square pans and had cracking but when I turned it back up I didn't have that problem.I don't have the bake even strips but if I did I probably would'nt use them on theses sizes anyway.What I did with my cracked ones was wrap them in saran wrap and let them stay wrapped overnight,they were still warm also,the next day when I used them the cracks were sealed up,maybe you could try that.Oh,but in my 10' pan I do use a flower nail in the center for more even baking.Hope this helps.

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 2:11am
post #6 of 7

My advise (if you know this is a fool proof recipe) is to cool the cake a bite more before removing from pan.

MarieF Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 2:22am
post #7 of 7

Thank you, I will try not using the bake strips and leaving it to cool a lot longer. Hopefully that works icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%