Decorating By cathyscakes Updated 19 Oct 2009 , 10:01pm by justgale

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 6:16pm
post #31 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by LURVELY

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathyscakes

When I started this thread I didn't have all of the facts to why it smashed. I ran into the lady the other day and she finally told me what happened. She said her dad actually had the cake in the back of his truck. It was a super hot day, no air condiitoning, and put it in the bed of his truck. His excuse was that there were too many people in the truck so he had to put it there. It was a 4 hour drive, the cake didn't have a chance, no matter what kind of support it had. I'm not going to give my time and money to do this, unless I can deliver it myself.

Oh wow....I have no words. icon_confused.gificon_eek.gif Except for one: MORON. Moooooooo-RON.

People can be soooo stupid.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 8:27pm
post #32 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by lthiele

Now see redoing the cakes is just "enabling" people to be stupid!

Yes, but when you're a lowly corporate peon, your job is to do what the manager tells you to do, no matter how little sense it actually makes. And grocery store bakeries aren't designed to make money*. They are a "loss leader". They get people to come into the store. So the managers are going to do what ever it takes to make the people happy so they will continue to shop there.

*This is why there is NO way independent bakers can EVER compete price-wise, as the independent baker IS trying to make a profit.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 8:36pm
post #33 of 37

He gets the GOLD!

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 8:39pm
post #34 of 37

No-no wait I got it!...

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 8:47pm
post #35 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

No-no wait I got it!...

Oh that is golden. I just wanted to quote you so the picture would show up again! icon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gif

lthiele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lthiele Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 9:50pm
post #36 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by lthiele

Now see redoing the cakes is just "enabling" people to be stupid!

Yes, but when you're a lowly corporate peon, your job is to do what the manager tells you to do, no matter how little sense it actually makes. And grocery store bakeries aren't designed to make money*. They are a "loss leader". They get people to come into the store. So the managers are going to do what ever it takes to make the people happy so they will continue to shop there.

*This is why there is NO way independent bakers can EVER compete price-wise, as the independent baker IS trying to make a profit.

Oh yeah prterrell - I totally get it wasn't your decision. Whatever the stores agenda is though, I hate it when people in the service industries ALLOW people to get away with bad behaviour. If only common sense would prevail - we wouldn't have 40 year old prima donnas stamping their feet till they get their own way! JMO! That's my rant for the day! icon_biggrin.gif

justgale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justgale Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 10:01pm
post #37 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

Oi! people can be so clueless!!! Here's some of the worst examples from my days as a grocery store decorator:

Cst. came by the bakery to p/u custom-decorated ICE CREAM cake, put cake in cart and proceded to complete her shopping...which took an hour an a half! Got to the check out and the cake was melted. Manager got called to the till. Cst. was IRATE that cake had melted. Guess who got to redo the cake while the cst. stood there roller her eyes, tapping her foot, and harumphing?

Cst. p/u custom decorated cupcake cake, pays for cake. Takes cake to car and puts in back seat. Drives across town to party supply store. Comes out an hour later with rest of party goods. Surprised to find that July + Georgia + sitting in car + icinng = melted mess. Cst. comes back to grocery store and gets manager. How DARE we sell her a cake with icing that melts in the heat! Guess who got to redo the cake while the cst. stood there warning everyone who walked by the bakery that icing melts if you leave a cake in your car?

Cst. p/u custom decorated cake, puts in bottom of car, finishes shopping in which she PILES all the rest of the groceries on the cake. Cst. gets to check out and pulls out squashed cake. Manager gets called to till. Cst. furious that we tried to "pass off" squashed cake as what she had ordered! Guess who got to redo the cake while the cst. stood there complaining that she needs the cake NOW!

There were customers whose kids pushed their fingers/hands all into the cake before the cake made it to check-out...we redid the cake. There were customers who ate part of the cake, left the cut side of the cake exposed to the air, and then returned the cake the next day for a FULL REFUND, because we sold them "stale" cake (at least 1 of these every week!). Customers putting cakes in car trunks, customers carrying cakes carelessly, customers putting cakes on things that cannot support the weight of the cake, customers doing all sorts of things to cakes than you'd think anyone with half a brain would realize you cannot do. It's cake people, not brick and mortar!

People can be such idiots.

Dang sounds like we worked in the same place.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%