Gum Paste Flowers

Decorating By JJ943 Updated 20 Jul 2009 , 7:43pm by weirkd

JJ943 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JJ943 Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 7:09pm
post #1 of 3

I was online looking at videos on how to make gum paste flowers and a couple of them were talking about "glue". What is the glue? Do you really need it cause a few just said to push a little to get it to stick. Thanks for the help

2 replies
mkm25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkm25 Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 7:27pm
post #2 of 3

Some people use egg whites as glue and others use an edible sugar glue. The recipe Nicholas Lodge uses is:

1. Bring one cup of tap water to a rolling boil and remove from the heat.
2. Add 1/2 heaped teaspoon of Tylose powder to the water. Stir well with a fork to break up the Tylose. Allow to cool, stirring often to dissolve.
3. If necessary, place the mixture in the refrigerator overnight to allow the Tylose to dissolve.
4. Place in an airtight bottle when cool. Has a shelf life of approximately 30 to 60 days, but will keep longer if kept refrigerated when not in use

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 7:43pm
post #3 of 3

What I do is have an empty tylose jar that I keep just for this. I add water to it and put it in the microwave with a teaspoon of tylose to it. I microwave for about 30 seconds. Then I stir it and then microwave another 30 seconds. I have it around for when I need it. I dont refrigerate mine either and have never had a problem with it "going bad" or moldy or anything.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%