I Am Speechless...

Lounge By Babarooskie Updated 22 Jul 2009 , 8:41pm by pkinkema

Babarooskie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babarooskie Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 6:10pm
post #1 of 44

Another story that has nothing to do with cakes...

I recently moved and sold my couch, loveseat, (1) iron end table, and (1) lamp to a friend of mine all for $350. In the e-mail that I sent out, I advised that the loveseat does have a hole. She came over my apartment and saw it and said it wasn't anything major. She then came to pick up the furniture with a truck and even had a second opportunity to inspect it.

She packed up the furniture, gave me the money and left. She calls me later that night and tells me that her Mother isn't happy with it because of the hole. I explained to her that she knew there was a hole, she saw it and said it was OK.

She's even told me that it's not my fault, but that she's upset at the whole situation and now she's barely talking to me. The reason she's upset is because her Mother didn't bother checking out the furniture and my friend was getting *itched at from her Mother. I wrote to my friend and she says she still needs "time to cool off". I'm so pissed...

My opinion- how is it my fault when I wrote an e-mail saying it was a hole, she came and saw it, and gave her a good price?! The hole wasn't even big- the size of a quarter! I've known her for 10 years and she's letting this affect our friendship...

What would you do??

43 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 6:18pm
post #2 of 44

sorry charlie -- you knew, you bought, you keep.

cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 6:30pm
post #3 of 44

Wow, what nerve! She bought USED furniture from a you (NOT A STORE), was advised of the imperfection, saw and okayed it, and is now upset with you because her mother is upset with her for purchasing said furniture with said imperfection the friend already saw and okayed before parting with money. icon_surprised.gif

If it were a close friend, I'd make a joke of it and say "Wow, your mom must really be upset with you for you to take it out on me like this!"

If it were a not so close friend, I'd just point out the facts: You aren't a store and sold these items because you were moving, you gave a great price for all of the pieces, pointed out flaws which friend saw and okayed. I'd then suggest if they really don't want the pieces, they list them on craig's list - who knows, maybe they'll make a profit off them. Then, since your friend needs time to "cool off," I'd let the friendship do so as well.

If you ever make a cake for her, I'd make sure she signed a contract! Who knows what she'd come back with!! icon_confused.gif

Babarooskie Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 6:39pm
post #4 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by cs_confections

Wow, what nerve! She bought USED furniture from a you (NOT A STORE), was advised of the imperfection, saw and okayed it, and is now upset with you because her mother is upset with her for purchasing said furniture with said imperfection the friend already saw and okayed before parting with money. icon_surprised.gif

If it were a close friend, I'd make a joke of it and say "Wow, your mom must really be upset with you for you to take it out on me like this!"

If it were a not so close friend, I'd just point out the facts: You aren't a store and sold these items because you were moving, you gave a great price for all of the pieces, pointed out flaws which friend saw and okayed. I'd then suggest if they really don't want the pieces, they list them on craig's list - who knows, maybe they'll make a profit off them. Then, since your friend needs time to "cool off," I'd let the friendship do so as well.

If you ever make a cake for her, I'd make sure she signed a contract! Who knows what she'd come back with!! icon_confused.gif

I told her that she can list them on Craigslist and see if she makes money off of them. I know when I listed the furniture- I had a bunch of e-mails. I've already mentioned that she's taking this out on me when she shouldn't and she's basically wiping our friendship with her ***! That's not right either...

Now she's giving me the cold shoulder and I think I just lost a friend.
I told her form the beginning that I was treating this as a business deal because when you get emotions involved then things like this happen. I'm not acting any differently towards her because her Mom was upset- I moved on. Why can't she do the same?!?

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 6:39pm
post #5 of 44

Why does her mother care?? Is it in her house? She needs to cut the cord and tell mama it's not her furniture.

Babarooskie Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 6:44pm
post #6 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaslaura

Why does her mother care?? Is it in her house? She needs to cut the cord and tell mama it's not her furniture.

Yes, my friend lives with her Mother and the furniture is in her Mother's house...

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 6:47pm
post #7 of 44

Gah. That's a whole lot of furniture for $350. Not only did you tell her about the hole, but she inspected it twice, and decided to make the purchase anyway. it's not like you hid the fact that the sofa was damaged.

What a butthead.

jaybug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaybug Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 6:51pm
post #8 of 44

Not your fault! She should have brought her mother with her to inspect it herself! She is in the wrong to let this come between the two of you. She could have walked away when she saw the hole. Keep your head up! You have done nothing to cause tension between you and your friend. thumbs_up.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 6:52pm
post #9 of 44

It's called Buyers Remorse...and I would just say "Too Bad...so Sad".It has nothing to do with you that her Mom is mad at her for buying the furniture.She is no friend if she is gonna act like this...Cut your loses and move on..Friend or no friend!!

Babarooskie Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 6:27pm
post #10 of 44

UPDATE:

now she sent me an e-mail asking if I can make her brother a cake for his birthday.

Things that make you go hmmmm....

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 6:44pm
post #11 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babarooskie

UPDATE:

now she sent me an e-mail asking if I can make her brother a cake for his birthday.

Well if you want to try to fix the friendship, I guess you can make the cake. If not, tell her no way.

Babarooskie Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 6:54pm
post #12 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

Quote:

UPDATE:

Well if you want to try to fix the friendship, I guess you can make the cake. If not, tell her no way.

I'm just worried that maybe she's capable of saying there's something wrong with the cake and then that'll be a whole other issue....

kansaslaura Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 6:58pm
post #13 of 44

...and what is going to be wrong with the cake once she gets it home??

kansaslaura Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 6:59pm
post #14 of 44

Babarooskie Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 7:12pm
post #15 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaslaura

Nothing of course! LOL

Just that when we last spoke, it didn't end on good terms, but not she wants a cake. I'm just worried that she'll say she isn't satisfied, want he rmoney back as a little bit of revenge towards me for the furniture. But maybe I'm just giong crazy too icon_confused.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 7:23pm
post #16 of 44

Obviously it wasn't your fault. She's probably one of those people who has sudden mood swings.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 8:14pm
post #17 of 44

I think her e-mail asking you to make a cake is her way of "testing the water" so to speak. She probably realizes that she acted like a poop head and now she's trying to get your friendship back on track.

Did you answer her cake request?

Babarooskie Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 8:23pm
post #18 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

I think her e-mail asking you to make a cake is her way of "testing the water" so to speak. She probably realizes that she acted like a poop head and now she's trying to get your friendship back on track.

Did you answer her cake request?

I told her that I would have to check my schedule...
I don't know what to do... we've been through so much together, but she acted just like you said a "poop head"..

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 8:41pm
post #19 of 44

It sounds like you guys are really good friends...if I were in your shoes I'd feel hurt and angry too, you have every right to. I guess you need to ask yourself how important her friendship is to you and if it's worth mending fences.

I'd have to talk it out with her though, I'm not the type who can just "forgive and forget" and never speak about the incident like it never happened.

I don't blame you for being hesitant, I would be too. Maybe having a "full" schedule this one time will allow you the time you need to get past this.

Yea, after thinking more about it I'd probably tell her my schedule was full for that week.

Good luck! We're not supposed to get stressed out over friendships....that's what family is for! icon_lol.gif

Babarooskie Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 9:19pm
post #20 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

It sounds like you guys are really good friends...if I were in your shoes I'd feel hurt and angry too, you have every right to. I guess you need to ask yourself how important her friendship is to you and if it's worth mending fences.

I'd have to talk it out with her though, I'm not the type who can just "forgive and forget" and never speak about the incident like it never happened.

I don't blame you for being hesitant, I would be too. Maybe having a "full" schedule this one time will allow you the time you need to get past this.

Yea, after thinking more about it I'd probably tell her my schedule was full for that week.

Good luck! We're not supposed to get stressed out over friendships....that's what family is for! icon_lol.gif

LOL thanks Deb!

Yeah, I agree. I think I'm going to tell her that I can't due to my schedule...

Thanks fo rthe advice, everyone icon_smile.gif

tonicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonicake Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 12:04am
post #21 of 44

Be sure to be booked for about 3 good weeks. One week before, one during and one after her brothers birthday.

When people try garbage like she did, I have to ask myself, Was this person really a friend? Friends do not treat each other the way she treated you. Of course, my best friends are my 2 sisters. So I'm very cautious about who I call friend.

Good luck and all, I'm glad I'm not in your shoes. I hate dealing with others drama - like hers! Who has time for it? Not ME!

julia77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia77 Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 1:44am
post #22 of 44
Quote:

UPDATE:

Snort!! That's hilarious. icon_lol.gif

What a silly child.

mackeymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mackeymom Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 2:38am
post #23 of 44

Oh darn! it looks like your whole schedule was JUST BOOKED! That's horrible..........

KSMill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KSMill Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 3:15am
post #24 of 44

I agree that your schedule should be 'full'. For your friendship to heal, it shouldn't be over business deals.

jamhays Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamhays Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 4:56am
post #25 of 44

I'd make her brother a free birthday cake in the shape of a loveseat with a huge hole in it. lol icon_twisted.gif

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 5:04am
post #26 of 44

Make a donut cake, hole and all.

Brujalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brujalita Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 6:20am
post #27 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamhays

I'd make her brother a free birthday cake in the shape of a loveseat with a huge hole in it. lol icon_twisted.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_razz.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

JoJo0855 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoJo0855 Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 11:43am
post #28 of 44
Quote:
Quote:

I think her e-mail asking you to make a cake is her way of "testing the water" so to speak. She probably realizes that she acted like a poop head and now she's trying to get your friendship back on track

An apology is in order here. Honestly, with friends like that who needs enemies?

Babarooskie Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 12:58pm
post #29 of 44

Well, i told her that I would have to check my schedule and her reply, "Ok."

That was it...so I don't know.
When we were exchanging e-mails to each other, I said that it wasn't fair that she was treating me this way- cold shoulder and all. I treated this as a business deal because it only gets complicated when emotions get involved (I take after my Dad icon_rolleyes.gif )

She told me she needed time to cool off...whatever! Then I told her, "hey, yuo don't see me acting different towards you because your mom wasn't satisfied with the furniture, do?!?"

uuggghhh....what a dumdum.

hensor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hensor Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 1:36pm
post #30 of 44

If you end up patching things up with her just make sure to wear one of those T-shirts that says "I'm with stupid" the next time your together...lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%