Need Some Advice On Whimsical Cake

Decorating By Faithbound Updated 20 Jul 2009 , 11:19pm by kandu001

Faithbound Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Faithbound Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 4:45pm
post #1 of 3

I am still rather inexperienced at this cake decorating. I've done a lot of cakes through my self-taught phase, however, mostly buttercream and piping gel transfers. I've only done a few tiered cakes.

My mother in law in is turning 60 this week. The coming weekend we want to throw her a surprise party. My husband wants me to attempt an elegant topsy-turvy cake. The colors: lavender, soft yellow, and bright white.

Any tips, hints or tricks I should know when attempting this type of cake? It will all be done in buttercream and royal icing. No fondant this go 'round. I've searched thousands of pics, but cannot quite find what I am looking for. I want to make perhaps lace doilies from the RI to go over the top tier. Have it come down part way. Place flowers here and there.

Any ideas to make this cake special for her. She really is special to us. We want her to know that. Thank you so much!

2 replies
Cheyanne25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cheyanne25 Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 5:05pm
post #2 of 3

I don't have any tips of my own to give you (I haven't yet tried my hand at the topsy turvy.

BUT http://www.flickr.com/photos/deliciously_decadent/3406954078/in/set-72157616259103302/ is a link to a GREAT tutorial, start to finish, on making a beautiful topsy turvy from Deliciously Decadent (Taya). She's a great person, and her cakes are amazing. She does use fondant in the tutorial, but theres still tons of tips and tricks that could probably help you out.

Good luck, and be sure to post pics when your done.

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 11:19pm
post #3 of 3

There is an excellent tutorial on this site. Just go to the articles section and it should be there. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%