Topsy Turvy Cake Supports? Not Your Average Turvy Cake?

Decorating By Bridezilla_ate_who Updated 20 Jul 2009 , 2:56pm by -K8memphis

Bridezilla_ate_who Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bridezilla_ate_who Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 5:46am
post #1 of 5

Myself & three friends (bridesmaids) are going to put together my wedding cake. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

This is the cake we are going to try and make

2 of them know how to make fondant, butter cream, and fondant from scratch.

And 3 of us are art majors...how bad could it be right? icon_eek.gif

How do we support the floating edges? Mainly the middle sections with the cherries, and the top two squares (so it doesn't slide off?) We've read tutorials on topsy turvy cakes...but it doesn't help us a lot with the tiers on this particular cake.

We plan on using dowels, but aren't sure if thats enough when the cake is tilted.

Any help or suggestions would be wonderful.

PS- we have a back up plan. So the bride (me) isn't worried, this is supposed to be fun not stressful.

Thanks everyone.

4 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 2:00pm
post #2 of 5

Use masonite cake boards... you will need to dowel the tiers underneath to support each above, as well as a center support to keep the whole thing up, but masonite boards will keep the floating edges of the cake from sagging and/or collapsing.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 2:32pm
post #3 of 5

Make one well in advance or schedule in steam roller stress on steroids.

icon_biggrin.gif

-K8memphis Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 2:45pm
post #4 of 5

Masonite is a good idea--you have to drill holes in there to provide the space for the center dowel. Foamcoare is another popular choice.

-K8memphis Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 2:56pm
post #5 of 5

Another thing, there's art majors and there's art majors. I can't hardly draw to save my life--but give me something textile and I can work with it. So yes I think it can be done.

Fun? Probably not so much due to the last minute-ness and the fact that you're the bride. It's gotta be fresh and taste good too.

Idea: make this a dummy cake and serve something good from the kitchen.

Check this out for a heads up:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=68445

Yes I think you can do it but...it's like birthing a baby (in this case more like triplets) on the week of your wedding.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%