Frilling The Edge Of Petals...help

Decorating By jennbrownrigg Updated 19 Jul 2009 , 6:41pm by bashini

jennbrownrigg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennbrownrigg Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 4:50pm
post #1 of 4

I want to make some fondant and or gumpaste carnations. I'm having a really hard time getting the 'frilly' edges. The book I have shows to take the little stick with the rounded edge (nice technical term huh...LOL) and roll it quickly back and forth...Is there a trick to this cause I can't seem to get it right...
I've looked for videos on youtube and haven't found anything...

Help would be appreciated.

TIA

3 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 5:20pm
post #2 of 4

You really need a ball tool for it. I tried to do it with the little wooden sticks too and it didn't work...it snagged the gumpaste and never made a frilled edge.

My favorite fondant tool is the white ball/veining tool that came in the course 3 kit. I didn't take course 3 and that was the only useful thing in the kit, other than the shape cutters...but that's my favorite tool and I use it all the time.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 5:30pm
post #3 of 4

you can use a glass candy thermoneter if you have one. Both ends of mine ar rounded glass and both work great. If you put a bit of corn starch in a stocking sock and tie it off you can dab it on the place you want it will only leave just enough to help the tool slide across without sticking. To get a proper frill you must work on a foam matt. The softer the foam the bigger the frill you will get. Work the edge in a circular motion in one direction while moving slightly down the edge. Flip your petal over and do it again. The more it bubbles up in waves the more frill you have so don't flatten it back out. Sometimes I will do all of one side and then every other space on the flip side.

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 6:41pm
post #4 of 4

Hi, I haven't done carnations. But I think you need this tool get a good frilling,

http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=19687

Its a ceremic one. so you need to use it very carefuly. I used this one to make my Peony on my pictures. You need to keep it flat on your worksurface. YOu also can use a toothpick to do the frillings too!

HTH. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%