Is There A Trick To Cornflower Blue Color?

Decorating By traab859 Updated 20 Jul 2009 , 7:39pm by traab859

traab859 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traab859 Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 4:30pm
post #1 of 9

Can anyone tell me if there is a formula for making cornflower blue icing color?? I know Wilton makes the color but my store didn't carry it and it is too late to order it online. Before I start mixing colors like a mad scientist I thought I would ask some experts first! icon_wink.gif Any help would be great!

8 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 6:12pm
post #2 of 9

The palest blue you can find (just a tiny dot!) and a teeny tiny dot of black makes a blue shade that's very similar to the Wilton Cornflower Blue thumbs_up.gif

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 6:13pm
post #3 of 9

The palest blue you can find (just a tiny dot!) and a teeny tiny dot of black makes a blue shade that's very similar to the Wilton Cornflower Blue thumbs_up.gif

traab859 Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 12:17am
post #4 of 9

Thanks Antonia74!! Big help, I appreciate it!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 12:41am
post #5 of 9

Glad you posted this question because I just booked a cake for Aug 1 that requires cornflower blue! Thanks!

traab859 Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 10:04am
post #6 of 9

What kind of cake, indydebi?? I love hearing what other people are doing. I am trying to replecate a birdhouse that my Grandfather built and my Aunt painted in kinda of a tribute to them. It's for my family reunion. Good luck to you! icon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 11:02am
post #7 of 9

Depeding on the nature of the blue & the black (some goes green, some goes grey, some goes 'isch') that you use, an idea is to add a touch of red icing to get to cornflower--sometimes if you're going for a tiny amount of color, if you use that color icing rather than a dot out of the bottle you can control it better.

The birdhouse sounds sweet.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 11:43am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by traab859

What kind of cake, indydebi?? I love hearing what other people are doing. I am trying to replecate a birdhouse that my Grandfather built and my Aunt painted in kinda of a tribute to them. It's for my family reunion. Good luck to you! icon_smile.gif

just a 2-tier wedding; one tier iced in blue and one tier iced in chocolate.

traab859 Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 7:39pm
post #9 of 9

@ Indydebi - blue and brown seem to be the hot colors. Very cool!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%