Ganache Question....

Decorating By Bames Updated 19 Jul 2009 , 4:27am by BlakesCakes

Bames Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bames Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 2:17am
post #1 of 3

Ok, I tried the recipe posted for Chocolate Ganache 1. I don't know if I didn't convert measurements right or what but it was bitter and horrible - I wasted $10 worth of chocolate. Please tell me why it tasted so bad.

The recipe was 8 oz. cream
1 tbls butter
1 oz sugar
12 oz. chocolate.

I used64% cocoa nestles baking chocolate squares. I wasn't sure about how many tsp. the 1 oz. of sugar was but my husband looked it up and said it translated to 7 1/2 tsp. Is that right??

Please help. Isn't Ganache the creamy filling a lot of you use in your layer cakes? If it's not can you tell me what I should be making for that? Not just buttercream - that's getting old.

Thanks,
Becky

2 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 3:32am
post #2 of 3

I use ganache to cover my cakes and I will never go back to buttercream.

I use a 2:1 ratio of choclate and heavy whiping cream -- 3:1 for white chocolate. Always always always measure by weight when making ganache. I never follow the weight in the wrapper/bag because sometimes it isn't accurate. Let it set. If you want to use it as a filling, whip it to make whipped ganache.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 4:27am
post #3 of 3

I don't think you'd want to use Baker's Chocolate for a good ganache.

Baker's Chocolate would be for a recipe that includes other sweet or flavorful ingredients. It has no inherent sweetness and is pretty low in cocoa butter.

For a good ganache, you want to use chocolate that you would consider eating plain--bittersweet (very dark), semi-sweet (dark, but sweeter), milk, or white, depending on what type(s) of chocolate you enjoy. The darker the chocolate, the harder it is, so darker ganaches are generally stiffer than milk or white.

HTH
Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%