Want To Buy High Ratio Shortening But Not 50Lbs! Help

Decorating By CarrieBear Updated 19 Jul 2009 , 5:31pm by CarrieBear

CarrieBear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarrieBear Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 10:18pm
post #1 of 8

so i want to try high ratio shortening.

the only amounts i can find being sold online are ususally

3lbs or 50lbs

i dont make enough cakes yet to justify 50! but i want more than 3 ...

any help appreciated!

tia

7 replies
cathie_shinnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathie_shinnick Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 11:04pm
post #2 of 8

I was in the same position as you before I bought my first 50#s. I found someone in my town that also did cakes and we split it. Just a thought

Angel_Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angel_Cake Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 11:19pm
post #3 of 8

www.thebakerskitchen.net has 4 lb tubs. My Wilton instructor buys them there. Hope the link works...

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 12:56am
post #4 of 8

You can freeze it for up to a year. It is suggested that you freeze it in the size that you will be using (1 cup pkgs, 2 cups pkgs, etc.) and only un-thaw the amount that you will be using at the time. I bought 6 pounds and divided it up and froze it in smaller portions.

A fter checking prices on line I am going to buy it in a larger quantity and freeze it. I bought this at a cake decorating shop (I traveled 5 hours round trip because that is the closet place to me that sells it) that didn't stock much more than Wilton (big disappointment) but had Sweetex and it was $3.50 for one pound.

I froze it last week and took out what I needed today and it was fine so I am sure freezing it for a longer period of time will be fine. I wrapped it in plastic wrap, froze the little packages and after several days I took the little packages and put them in two Food Saver bags, removed the air and sealed the bags.

CarrieBear Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 1:29am
post #5 of 8

great suggestions everyone thank u! icon_smile.gif

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 1:49am
post #6 of 8

I buy in larger amounts and Ihave packed it in plastic containers and kept it in my freezer. I don't package it in the cup or 2 cup amounts but, I do thaw about 3 pounds at a time and use it. I have never had any problems with it and it makes more sense to purchase the larger size in order to save money. Hopefully you have an extra freezer to store it in and if so, buy, buy, buy! This way you always have it on hand thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif
evelyn

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 1:51am
post #7 of 8

I buy in larger amounts and Ihave packed it in plastic containers and kept it in my freezer. I don't package it in the cup or 2 cup amounts but, I do thaw about 3 pounds at a time and use it. I have never had any problems with it and it makes more sense to purchase the larger size in order to save money. Hopefully you have an extra freezer to store it in and if so, buy, buy, buy! This way you always have it on hand thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif
evelyn

CarrieBear Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 5:31pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel_Cake

www.thebakerskitchen.net has 4 lb tubs. My Wilton instructor buys them there. Hope the link works...

this site is great! thank u so much for sharing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%