Venting...(Long Sorry)

Decorating By Teknosugar Updated 26 Jul 2009 , 2:40am by woodruffbn

Teknosugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teknosugar Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 10:01pm
post #1 of 11

So for months now my husbands family have been planning to visit for my daughters first birthday, and I had planned a elaborate cake with castle, pond, frog and princess, to go along with her theme (I know its only for a 1 year old, but its good practice too!)
My sister in law is also really pregnant, so we thought it would be a good idea to have the baby shower the same weekend, so that all the family could be there (They all live 6 hours away and my other sister in law has a 2 week old)
So my daughters party was set for the friday night and we had arranged that my sister in laws party would be on the sunday. I was asked to do her cake and seeing as I knew I would have all day if needed on saturday to decorate I was fine with that.
1 week before the party I get an invitation to the baby shower which is now on Saturday. Her mother calls me to confirm the cake and asks me oh is it the same day as my daughters party. I was a tiny bit annoyed but figured hey its for family I'll just make the cakes on thursday and it won't be a problem.
That was until, the evening when I planned on filling and buttercreaming, I got sick because I'm pregnant...
Friday rolls around and I realize that there is no way I can finish this wonderful birthday cake for my daughter now, so I go ahead and make two smaller frog cakes for her, one as a prince, and one as a princess with a string of pink pearls and all. Not my best work but hey its gonna be destroyed anyway.
So I finished the baby shower cake (which was awesome) and had her mom pick it up so she could refridgerate it.
I put the two frog cake on the table and went and finished putting the food out for the guests, who all arrived including my numerous nieces. Before I even get chance to take a picture, my youngest niece has completely pulled off half on the fondant from the princess frog cake (which was for my daughter)
Fortunatly the cakes tasted great, although my daughter instead of doing the usual get the cake everywhere wouldn't touch the cake didn't want to eat it and decided she wanted cheetos instead.
oh well. icon_cry.gif

10 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 10:11pm
post #2 of 11

Awww...I'm sorry that happened to you. I've learned the same thing about cakes and kids, to keep it out of reach until it's served. When I learned it, I was decorating the cake on the kitchen table and my daughter was laying on the table (I didn't even know she could climb!) with her tongue out, licking a groove in the frosting as I tried to smooth it. It was her birthday cake...and yes, she ate every bit of the smash cake, didn't worry about rubbing it on her face, just used a spoon and ate every bit...she's always been a character.

How are you managing, having a little one who's just turned one and being pregnant again? All I remember about early pregnancy was being so tired I could barely move...I hope your daughter takes nice long naps so you can too.

Teknosugar Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 5:39am
post #3 of 11

Its been difficult to say the least. I have been really tired and very nauseous this time, which I wasn't last time, and to top it all off my friend who does all the cakes with me is also pregnant and due about the same time. YAY!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 6:00am
post #4 of 11

When I was pregnant the second time, I had trouble with nausea too. Ginger helped...I bought a tin of ginger altoids and kept one in my mouth most of the time, but I think ginger capsules would have helped too without the taste, which did take some getting used to.

MaryAnnPriest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaryAnnPriest Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 7:36pm
post #5 of 11

They sell a candy called Preggie Pops that are awesome for baby sickness. You can buy them online or in specialty stores like Motherhood Maternity, A Pea in the Pod, etc. They are sour. Nothing funky in them. They work. I was very sick for 7 1/2 months with my son when I came across them - I used them for my second child and while still queasy here and there, they kept it under control. I am pregnant with my 3rd, and yes, I have the candies on me at all time.

Casandra383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Casandra383 Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 11:43pm
post #6 of 11

Red Raspberry leaf and peppermint tea!! Does wonders for nausea!! HTH!

Chlophiasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chlophiasmom Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 11:54pm
post #7 of 11

Red raspberry leaf can cause preterm contractions and it often used later in preganancy by midwives to get the ball rolling.

Casandra383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Casandra383 Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 12:04am
post #8 of 11

I drank a 12 cup coffee pot of it every day for 6 months. It didn't phase me , but it was my third and I wasn't at any risk of pre-term labor. (Actually she ended up breech and I had to have a C-sectionicon_sad.gif()
It sure helped the nausea for me,...you would have to do your own research.

Teknosugar Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 3:32am
post #9 of 11

I actually use jolly ranchers over the preggie pops because I don't like the flavor.
My nausea however is starting to curb off, which means my 1st trimester hopefully is nearly over... in cake news I was amused to find that the cake I need to make for friday has become more interesting! as the bride turned up this morning with the ribbon for the cake, but instead of bringing me a nice 1 inch thick ribbon or thicker... (the layers of the cake are usually 5-6 inches) she bought me 1/2 inch ribbon. I laughed... oh well its her cake!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 4:40am
post #10 of 11

The last 3 were back to back to back. Ginger worked for me, but those preggie pops made me feel worse. Fizzie Lizzies in pineapple aslo helped (pure pinapple juice w/ carbonated water only). Everyone is different, good luck finding what works for you. I TOTALLY sympathize!

woodruffbn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodruffbn Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 2:40am
post #11 of 11

I never so much as got queasy while I was pregnant....
(crouching down, covering head)
Don't hit me!!!

OP, I hate that happened to you!! I would have been very upset about not being able to make my babies cake the way I wanted it, much less having it ruined before she got to eat... But congrats on the new baby!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%