How Far Ahead Do You Book For Weddings?

Business By hilly Updated 20 Jul 2009 , 5:08pm by cakemaker30

hilly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hilly Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 9:10pm
post #1 of 10

How far ahead do you book for a wedding? Also, would you do a tasting now if the wedding were a year away?

Thanks!

9 replies
FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 9:51pm
post #2 of 10

I'll take a deposit a year out. Usually do tastings 6 months out or less. No quotes until the tasting.

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 10:07pm
post #3 of 10

We've got several bookings for next year already. At least three for next June. Of course, this is my first year in business, so that may change as I re-evaluate my pricing structures.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 10:40pm
post #4 of 10

I have heard of people taking deposits and holding dates for up to three years. Seems crazy to me, but I guess some people like long engagements.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 11:00pm
post #5 of 10

I also have several for 2010. I do the samplings whenever they want ... they pay the deposit after they see if they like my baking and if they want me to make their cake (I'm averaging about 18 days after the sampling for them to make their final decision, ranging from 1 day to 79 days).

My cake prices are pretty stable, but I'd probably not quote a catering more than 12-15 months out without a "subject to scheduled price increase".

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 11:14pm
post #6 of 10

I guess if they book 3 years in advance, the chances are good that you won't be booked. LOL!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 1:37am
post #7 of 10

I'll do a tasting and take their NON-REFUNDABLE $ any time they want.

marmalade1687 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marmalade1687 Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 2:40pm
post #8 of 10

I already have several for next year and got a request for 2011 - as Leahs said, if they want to hand over the non-refundable dollars, I'll book the space!

hilly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hilly Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 12:36am
post #9 of 10

Thanks everyone!

cakemaker30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemaker30 Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 5:08pm
post #10 of 10

I have several weddings booked for 2010. I try to only do a year away though. That's only because I run a legal cake shop out of my home and who knows what could happen in 2 or 3 years. I would hate to take someone's money and for some reason something happens and I'm not longer able to make cakes out of my house. I guess that could happen with anybody, anywhere, but I don't want to take any chances. If I had an actual storefront I might take some a little longer than a year away though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%