Need Answers For Cake Due Today!!!

Decorating By BakedbyLisa Updated 18 Jul 2009 , 3:35pm by Bakingangel

BakedbyLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakedbyLisa Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 2:41pm
post #1 of 7

I made a four tiered cake and since three of the tiers were to be dark green I decided to buy S@tin Ice fondant to make sure the color was all even. I normally make my own mmf but opted for a "better fondant" that was already colored. Since covering the cakes the fondant has dried and is getting little crackes all over. Does this happen to anyone else? (this is the second time i've used this fondant and is cracks once dried!) Im not sure what to do. Also there are a few air bubbles and although I poked a hole with a pin, the fondant has cracked around the holes.
Help, would steaming the caked help to give it a more sleek look? ANy other ideas?
The only saving grace is this is all taking place in the back of the cake and some of the imperfections are covered with flowers. icon_redface.gif

6 replies
Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 3:02pm
post #2 of 7

How about a little bit of crisco? or try spackle them with royal icing and smooth them out.

BakedbyLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakedbyLisa Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 3:10pm
post #3 of 7

I will try crisco, but have you ever used this brand and has this happened to you? Don't think I will be buying this again.

laneysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laneysmom Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 3:15pm
post #4 of 7

I use Satin Ice all the time and have never had a problem. Are you experiencing alot of heat and humidity?

At least you can mask the mistakes. As my husband always says, "every cake needs a backside."

Good luck!!

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 3:17pm
post #5 of 7

I usually make Michele Foster's fondant, but won some Satin Ice in a contest and have now used it twice on a couple of cakes. I have not had issues with it drying out... however, I do think it gets hard really fast. You can knock on the cake and it sounds like a hollow tree. Did you roll it out on powdered sugar? That might be an issue if so. I just roll it out on shortening. You might pop it into the fridge for a bit and bring it back out allowing it to sweat. That could put the moisture it needs back into it.

Good Luck! Sorry this has happened to you.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 3:20pm
post #6 of 7

i have used it several times. week before last. i used it again. never will again. i kneaded in crisco several times.. kneaded and kneaded. before i could get it smooth and down all around my cake. it cracked where the front was. it make me sick.. i showed the client. she was ok with it.. never use it again. i have used pettinice on several occasions.. will go back to that. already have some ordered.. pettinice taste ever better.. i have read several threads since i did mine week before last. same thing happening to lots of other people . so if you knead in crisco. like i did several times and it still dries and cracks on you and looks like elephant skin... then what is the answer. don,t know...htht

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 3:35pm
post #7 of 7

I've seen Sharon Zambito put some shortening on a soft Viva towel and lightly rub it all over a fondant cake to restore it. It will eventually absorb it and the shiny look will go away. Hope this helps. Let us know.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%