Lesson Learned!

Decorating By poptart Updated 18 Jul 2009 , 9:11pm by superstar

poptart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poptart Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 5:07am
post #1 of 11

I just finished frosting 125 cupcakes using tip 1M with a 12" disposable bag thumbsdown.gif The lesson.....GET A BIGGER BAG!! Do you know how many times I had to fill that sucker up!!! Sheesh, you would think I would know how to think things through by now dunce.gif Anyhoo I just thought I would share icon_smile.gif

Jen

10 replies
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 5:19am
post #2 of 11

Yep....been there, done that!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 5:51am
post #3 of 11

I use the 16" bags for that...but if you fill them too full they're hard to squeeze. So you end up filling it up a lot anyhow icon_biggrin.gif

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 8:02am
post #4 of 11

True, the bigger the bag, the harder they are to control. Set the cupcakes down and use two hands to get a better grip and control of the bigger bags. Filling bags Ugh

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 3:50pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by poptart

I just finished frosting 125 cupcakes using tip 1M with a 12" disposable bag thumbsdown.gif The lesson.....GET A BIGGER BAG!! Do you know how many times I had to fill that sucker up!!! Sheesh, you would think I would know how to think things through by now dunce.gif Anyhoo I just thought I would share icon_smile.gif

Jen

LOL I just did the same thing last weekend for my daughter's first birthday party (only not 125 cupcakes, thank goodness, only 30 or so), and I was thinking the whole time that I needed one of those big honkin' bags I saw on Cake Boss the other day! I cannot even imagine how many times you had to fill that sucker up for 125 cupcakes. We should all get two 1M tips and two bags, and make hubby or a friend refill one each time it's empty while we're using the other one they just filled!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 4:10pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondsonblackvelvet13

Yep....been there, done that!

Ditto! That one's in my "life lessons" column! thumbs_up.gif

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 4:29pm
post #7 of 11

I have seen where someone using a large bag twisted it in the middle so that they were only using pressure on the lower part of the bag by the tip, and the upper part was a "reserve". Seemed to work really well...

sdrosie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sdrosie Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 7:31pm
post #8 of 11

I did the exact same thing recently only with 300 cupcakes. I didn't think I would ever see the end of them!!! I thought I had ordered 4 extra tips so I could have 5 bags going at a time. WELL the craft store never ordered my tips... so I was left with one tip..... I refilled that thing over and over again. Finally towards the end of my project I got a pair of latex gloves and put on.... no more dried frosting, sticky mess.....if only I had thought of this idea earlier? hehehe Oh well the cupcakes were a huge success!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 7:46pm
post #9 of 11

Yep large bag...and make the frosting a bit softer. It doesn't have to be stiff to make a nice swirl. That way its easy to squeeze even out of a large bag.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 8:38pm
post #10 of 11

I don't blop icing into the bag every time it's empty.

Instead, I make a bunch of icing 'bullets' to fit my 18" or 21" bag before I start decorating. When the bag is empty, I just chuck the plastic, drop a new bullet it and continue decorating.

I always clip the end of my bag closed with a Twixit so I can push the excess icing above my hand while I squeeze a more managable amount below.

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 9:11pm
post #11 of 11

Michelle! I think I like your idea best, if I ever have a lot of cupcakes to make you may be sure my DH is going to be roped in to keep filling the bag.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%