I Need Help With Cake For This Weekend

Decorating By BeeBoos-8599_ Updated 20 Jul 2009 , 1:31am by beachcakes

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 1:39am
post #1 of 9

Hi all, I have decided to do a cake for my MIL's birthday this weekend.
It is a orange cake and I want to fill it with ganache and ice it with cream cheese BC then drizzle chocolate ganache on the top.
I need help with the ganache. I want to ensure it is shiney and a nice smooth coat that will flow randomly over the edges (cake will be round).
Also, I want to incorporate kniting or sewing. Any thoughts on how to make balls of yarn without the sport ball pan? I thing they will be about the size of a tennis ball. As I said, it is for this weekend (sunday actually) so any help would be great.

8 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 1:53am
post #2 of 9

I've never used ganache so I can't help with that part.

For the balls of yarn, you could make some cake balls out of the part you trim off when you level it, and then cover them in fondant and then roll long thin strings of fondant (use clay gun or garlic press if you have either) and wrap them around to look like yarn.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 2:02am
post #3 of 9
sweettoothmom1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom1 Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 2:07am
post #4 of 9

looks like a double post.
here is a neat post on the ganache drizzle
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-635548.html

you might try rice krispies treats as the base for the ball then cover w fondant

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 2:45am
post #5 of 9

Sweettoothmom1, Yeah it has been happening for a couple of weeks and not only to me I think it is a CC issue. Believe me I only hit submit ONE time. Thanks so much for the link on the drizzle. I appreciate it.

Texas_Rose, Thanks again, you are allways there for me. I allways try to remember the RKT trick and when my time comes up I totally forget to use it so thanks so much!

JanH, Your post was not necessary. I responded to your PM and explained that it is not my issue. It is CC's issue. Please just allow me to get the assistance needed from the members and get on with things. Now I am going to hit submit ONE time. Lets see how many times this shows up shall we?

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 3:21am
post #6 of 9

BeeBoos-8599_, I always cross reference same/similar posts whenever I come across them to assist other members who have similar questions in finding ALL the responses. icon_smile.gif

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 3:35am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

BeeBoos-8599_, I always cross reference same/similar posts whenever I come across them to assist other members who have similar questions in finding ALL the responses. icon_smile.gif

And Jan, thank you for that diligence! Your ability to remember what has passed across the screen always amazes me and has, more than once, allowed me to find answers in one discussion that was not necessarily brought up in the other. thumbs_up.gif

BeeBoos8599: I have a knitting basket on the second page of my photos... it's rather a tiny photo, but it is a RKT rounded and then wrapped with fondant just as TexasRose discussed. I crosshatched the top most layers of "yarn" to give it the appearance of the way strands are wrapped. It was a little time consuming, and you are probably in a rush to get things done by Sunday, but it gave the look of the yarn ball a rather neat finish.

Have fun caking!

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 1:46pm
post #8 of 9

Win, Thanks for the info.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 1:31am
post #9 of 9

How did it turn out?

I just wanted to add that choc & orange is a terrific combo! I finally had the chance to try out the WASC creamsicle and i also had baked up WASC choc. It was my stepfather's bday, and I only had 6" cakes, so I torted orange and chocolate layers. Wasn't sure how it would go together, but was pleasantly surprised!! Spread a thin layer of marmalade then choc. bav. cream between each layer. OMG sooo good!! icon_smile.gif Tasted like one of those Terry's chocolate oranges! Mmm!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%