Please Help Me With This Cake Drum.....????? Please

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 18 Jul 2009 , 9:44pm by BakingGirl

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 12:59am
post #1 of 6

A while back I posted a question for assistance with covering my cake drum with fondant. The reply I got back was the following....

you can use the bandage method. Here's how it is done,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/e.....4575839118

The method looks amazing! However, I have tried this a hundred times, with no success!!! Everytime I get my fondant to the "curve" in the circle cake drum it bulges up. How is it possible to get a piece of straight fondant to curve on a circle???

I want to cover my drum with fondant. I have tried covering it first, then icing my cake on it. What a mess!! The scrapes from my spatula and the grease from the icing made the drum look horrible. Can someone please help me on applying fondant to a cake drum. Or, does anyone have any tips on this Bandange method????

Thank you

5 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 2:12am
post #2 of 6
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 2:19am
post #3 of 6

The link wouldn't work for me...

But here's what I do, in case it will be helpful to you. I cover the whole board with fondant and then finish the edge with a ribbon. Then I put the cake on a board cut to the exact size of the cake, frost and fondant it, then put the finished cake onto the decorated board.

sweetsadiecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsadiecakes Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 4:48am
post #4 of 6

I slide strips of wax paper under my cake, then ice it. When you've done everything else and ready to put the border on, remove the wax paper.

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 5:41pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you all!

sweetsadiecakes----when you slide your wax paper out from the cake, does it not distort the bottom edge of your icing?

Thank you,

=)

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 9:44pm
post #6 of 6

I cover my board in fondant a day or so ahead and leave it to dry, that way it is less likely to dent when I place the cake on the board. I cover the whole board with fondant. If you do not want to waste the fondant in the middle just do not wet that part of the board so you can cut out the middle fondant. Also make sure you do not roll your fondant too thick for the board, the thicker it is the more likely it picks up marks and dents.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%