Is This Common?

Decorating By Laurascakefactory Updated 18 Jul 2009 , 1:02am by indydebi

Laurascakefactory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laurascakefactory Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 10:42pm
post #1 of 4

I received an e-mail about a wedding cake and I am not sure what is customary... here is what was written

"First, can you match a cake I've found on the internet? Also, a couple of places I've found do not charge for the top layer that is saved for the year anniversary. Do you include this layer on top of the prices/sizes listed or is that layer part of your serving estimates?"

Okay so I can answer the first question but the second caught me off guard. Do you include the top layer in the quote if they are not going to serve it? Please help.

3 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 10:51pm
post #2 of 4

I personally don't include it in the serving count, because it's a selling point. A lot of people do include it because it's cake, regardless of whether they choose to eat it or not isn't your business.

Some places around here give a certificate for a free anniversary cake, then the customer can come back and get it a year later. I just decided not to include the top tier, because it amounts to the same free cake, but it also cuts down on me having to make free cakes for every bride the following year!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 11:10pm
post #3 of 4
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 1:02am
post #4 of 4

I do include it in the count and the price, but my selling point is giving them the free, fresh cake on their anniversary. Brides LUV this!! And I luv seeing them again a year later. Plus it keeps my name in their minds for at least another year as they mention to their friends about their upcoming free cake.

One bride said her dad was teasing her about having to eat a year-old cake and she said, "Nope! My cake lady has me all taken care of!"

My cake lady. Man, I LOVED hearing that! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%