Portion/condiment Cups For Baking

Baking By __Jamie__ Updated 25 Jul 2009 , 11:33pm by JaimeAnn

__Jamie__ Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 3:14am
post #1 of 13

Is this ok to do?


I thought when I (briefly) looked at these things one day at the store they seemed to be shiny, which says to me they are coated with something, and therefore possibly not ok to bake in? I sure like the look of them, I don't dig the fluted liners. And how about condiment cups in general? Does anyone use these for standard size cupcakes? It's food safe?

12 replies
Rylan Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 3:24am
post #2 of 13

I was thinking of the same thing. I heard that it isn't safe because once it's baked, chemicals will come out.

I think they make ones specifically for cupcakes.

__Jamie__ Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 3:29am
post #3 of 13

Yeah, I realllllly hope someone who knows will come in and say YES! It's allll I use...(please, please, please) If I have to order one more flipping thing online this month I'm going to scream. But order it anyways. ((sigh))

I'm thinking the ones that you squirt ketchup into like at In and Out have got to be ok, right? Right? icon_biggrin.gif

PinkZiab Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 3:30am
post #4 of 13

I love these for cupcakes... the ones I have used are uncoated paper... nothing shiny

rainyone Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 3:32am
post #5 of 13

the wilton ones are waxed and not meant to be baked. they are food safe but meant for nuts and candy. you can buy souffle cups that are meant to be oven safe.

__Jamie__ Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 3:34am
post #6 of 13

Sweet! Thanks guys. I was thinking those shiny ones were not ok. I'll find some hopefully at Smart and Final. icon_smile.gif

matthewkyrankelly Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 3:34am
post #7 of 13

Google souffle cups. That is what they are called for baking and they come in many sizes. Also, they are sturdy enough that they only need a baking sheet, not muffin tins. A nut cup may be a coated product.

__Jamie__ Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 3:36am
post #8 of 13

Yes...I love that you can just line them up on a cookie sheet, the other reason I want them!

Christie_H Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 3:41am
post #9 of 13


According to the OP in this thread, she called Wilton and they said they weren't oven safe (though they didn't specify that they weren't food safe). I've baked in them before with no problems but I now buy the paper souffle cups that rainyone mentioned (SOLO brand) at foodservice supply.

__Jamie__ Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 3:45am
post #10 of 13
Lisabellemarie Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 12:52am
post #11 of 13

What size souffle cups do you guys use like a standard size cupcake? I would love to use these to bake in, and have found 1 oz, 2 oz and 3 oz sizes - and I really don't want to end up with 5000 cups in the wrong size (and I would - 'cause I'm lucky like that.)

So, what size do you use?

Doug Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 1:05am
post #12 of 13

try this site:

be sure to click on both the muffin trays (great concept) and the baking cups buttons.

They also have some neat baking molds (shaped cakes)

JaimeAnn Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 11:33pm
post #13 of 13

I use the 3&1/4 oz souffle cups I get from Smart & Final . $5.28 for 250.

Quote by @%username% on %date%