Will This Be 'too Much'?

Decorating By Clovers Updated 17 Jul 2009 , 8:38pm by Clovers

Clovers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Clovers Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 8:08pm
post #1 of 16

I'm making myself a birthday cake for a small party I'm throwing tomorrow and I had an idea for what to make, but not I'm concerned that it will just be much too much of everything and be too sweet.

I was planning to make chocolate WASC cake, filled with strawberry BC, chocolate fudge (ice cream topping kind) and crushed fudgeeo cookies, then ice with chocolate ganache, top it with strawberries, fudge and more cookies and then do a chocolate wrap around it. Will the ganache and the wrap make it too chocolatey and rich? I'm worried that maybe I should just go with chocolate BC to ice it.... thoughts?

Also, I've never made WASC before, I'm afraid to wrap it and freeze it incase it gets sticky etc, suggestions?

15 replies
idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 8:22pm
post #2 of 16

Well I think the key here is it's YOUR birthday cake and you should make exactly what you want!
If some folks think it's too much, they can have a smaller piece! My birthday is tomorrow and I'm half tempted to make myself a small cake. It would be chocolate cake, chocolate mousse filling and chocolate ganache frosting if I did!!
LOL- I don't care if anyone things it's 'too much chocolate icon_smile.gif
My saying is "chocolate is like blue jeans - goes with eveything!)

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 8:25pm
post #3 of 16

i think the ganache and the wrap would be a little much along wtih the richness of WASC, and maybe people won't appreciate having both. i think a "not so sweet" chocolate BC would do, won't need as much powdered sugar, since you probably don't need for it to crust. I love cake and personally i'd be satisfied with the filling, frosting and crushed cookies on top and patted onto the sides, with maybe some chocolate covered strawberries on top or around the edges. Hope i've been helpful.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 9:11pm
post #4 of 16

i'll just say this:

a) the most compliments I got on a cake was a dark chocolate fudge cake with dark chocolate mocha buttercream filling and fosting, topped off with poured dark chocolate ganache

b) there is NO such thing as "too much chocolate"

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 9:51pm
post #5 of 16

Picking chin up and getting a mop for the drool... NO IT SOUNDS DELISH!!!! Do it! They don't have to eat it all and small portions would be great but it sounds perfect!!! You can ship me my piece please.. 278 Lalalala..... icon_lol.gif

DeeDelightful Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 1:59pm
post #6 of 16

Let me just redeem myself....when your guests walk in and see that cake, their mouths are going to water and they are going to dive into it, no doubt about it. They won't know all the details that went into it, unless they ask. They will only know they are eating something VERY good. So nevermind my suggestion, make YOUR cake the way you want it.

DeeDelightful Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 2:01pm
post #7 of 16

Let me just redeem myself....when your guests walk in and see that cake, their mouths are going to water and they are going to dive into it, no doubt about it. They won't know all the details that went into it, unless they ask. They will only know they are eating something VERY good. So nevermind my suggestion, make YOUR cake the way you want it.

Jen80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jen80 Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 2:16pm
post #8 of 16

Umm my thoughts?.................. YUMMY!!!!!!!!

Jen80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jen80 Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 2:25pm
post #9 of 16

He he.........You were just jealous weren't ya Dee. Can cake be airmailed to Australia? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 2:26pm
post #10 of 16

Sounds wonderful.....send pictures so I can drool some more & hope you have a very
Happy Birthday!

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 2:35pm
post #11 of 16

I want to crash you party just for the cake!!!!! That sounds so rich and decadent and oh so yuuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmy. I would serve it with a nice cup of rich full body coffee.

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 2:47pm
post #12 of 16

Okay, the only thing I don't like about that cake is that you are not making it for my birthday!!!!! I LOVE CHOCOLATE and those flavors would just put me on cloud 9!!!!! I think, it's your birthday, so you make whatever type of cake you want! If people find it too rich, they probably will only have a small piece or leave it on their plates or whatever....

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 3:47pm
post #13 of 16

Doug, Are you sure you are not a woman??? lol. Anyone who does not like chocolate is just plain WACKOOO! (I still love my father in law though). Go for it girl!! And HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! Wrote you a little song here it goes...

Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday to you
If you dont want your
Birthday Cake then
I will eat it for you ! icon_biggrin.gif

Clovers Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 5:47pm
post #14 of 16

Haha thanks everyone!

Well.. in the end, I omitted the ganache... but ONLY because I didn't even get to start making it until 10 last night, it wasn't baked until just after 11, and by the time it cooled and I had to leveled and filled and crumb coated I couldn't keep my eyes open anymore....

So now it is sitting in my fridge to be finished up when I get home from work. I'm going to try out the same idea WITH ganache for my brother's going away party next weekend. (But it will be chocolate cake, chocolate ganache, filled with dulce de leche, then with marshmellows, chocolate chips and caramel on top..)

If it's not ugly when it's done, I'll post a picture!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 7:59pm
post #15 of 16

NOW STOP THAT!!!!

no fair -- you keep describing these wonderfully delicious sounding cakes and we can't have any!!

that one for the bro' sound fantastic....

(trying to figure out a way to find the map to the party just so can get a bite of cake!)

Clovers Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 8:38pm
post #16 of 16

The one for my brother is ONLY because he's moving to the arctic... so it will be the last cake he will have for almost 2 years.

And if you can find a map, please join us! Party starts at 9 at Jangles!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%