Quit While I'm Ahead?

Decorating By not_a_desperate_housewife Updated 16 Jul 2009 , 6:20pm by KristyCakes

not_a_desperate_housewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
not_a_desperate_housewife Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 5:34pm
post #1 of 11

Hello all, I'm wondering if people ever torte three 2" cakes? I'm baking a 12" cake for my nephew and am looking for height in order to put fondant buildings on the side of the cake. Thus far, I baked and torted two 2-inchers. Would it be disastrous to bake one more, torte it, and put it on top? Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

10 replies
KristyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyCakes Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 5:41pm
post #2 of 11

It sound to me that you mean you'll end up with 6 1" layers of cake and 5 of filling? I think if you do this, you should support with dowels and a cardboard round 1/2 way just to give extra support. It will work fine if you do this. And, it will help make serving easier, too. Good luck!

not_a_desperate_housewife Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 5:45pm
post #3 of 11

Thank you for your suggestion. Unfortunately, I just got this idea after two of the cakes were torted and stacked. Is it now too late? I've never used dowels before.

KristyCakes Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 5:51pm
post #4 of 11

I don't think it's too late. You'll just have different serving sizes (some pieces with 2 layers of cake, some with 4). Can you take off the top layer easily, maybe by slippng a piece of cardboard round underneath it? I use skewers - stick them in the bottom cakes, cut them level with the cake, then add the round and then the rest of the cake on top. I'd worry about the weight of a 6 layer cake with fondant on it, it could certainly work, but better safe than sorry.

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 5:54pm
post #5 of 11

It's not too late, you need to dowel , then use a board on top, then place the other layers on top of that. If you don't have dowels, you could use heavy staws. Make sure they are level.

not_a_desperate_housewife Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 5:59pm
post #6 of 11

I think I see what you're saying. (I am sooooo new to this!)

Couple of questions: (1) Skewers. Are you talking wooden ones? If so, are they easily accessible at let's say an AC Moore or Michael's or a cake supply place? (2) Using the skewers -- I'm envisioning putting them into the bottom cakes vertically, right? If so, how many? Would I put them in at let's say 12, 3, 6 & 9 o'clock positions?

The top layer is tempermental; it cracked a bit because I did something really stupid. But that's another story. I think I would be better off putting the cardboard round on top of the fourth layer of cake and then putting the last 12" round 2" torted cake on top of that.

What do you think?

KristyCakes Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 6:09pm
post #7 of 11

I get the regular kabob skewers (the fatter ones) from the grocery and they have worked fine for a cake like this. I've used the Wilton ones from the craft store/Walmart and I like those, too. (And for a 12" cake, I might prefer the 1/4 inch dowels from Wilton...) For a 12" cake, I'd also use more than 4 dowels if you had a full size cake on top. Since you'll only have 2 layers on top, 4 will probably be fine.

tyty Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 6:09pm
post #8 of 11

If you go to Micheals you can buy the white plastic dowels, they are easier to cut, if you are not putting another cake on top of your tall tier then you could use 4 of those under the board, then put your other torted layer on top and this will give the support you need. Yes, they go in vertically. I assume you mean you have already stacked 4 of your layers and want to stack the other 2 on top to give you a tall tier.

not_a_desperate_housewife Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 6:14pm
post #9 of 11

Thank you Tyty and Kristycakes. As soon as my kids get up from their naps, I'm off to Michael's. Good thing I started early with this. icon_wink.gif

tyty Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 6:16pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by not_a_desperate_housewife

Thank you Tyty and Kristycakes. As soon as my kids get up from their naps, I'm off to Michael's. Good thing I started early with this. icon_wink.gif

Can't wait to see that finished cake!

KristyCakes Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 6:20pm
post #11 of 11

Yes, good luck! Well rested little ones helps to make cake-life easier, too! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%