Get Americolor Paints To Dry????

Decorating By Kimmers971 Updated 16 Jul 2009 , 2:51pm by sweetcravings

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 1:37pm
post #1 of 7

I painted a sumpaste figure in stages over the last 3 days and the paint stays very sticky. How do I get it to dry so I can handle the figure?

Thanks!

6 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 2:18pm
post #2 of 7

There's nothing that I know of, that you can do after the fact. In the future, mix your colors with a little clear alcohol or confectioners glaze to help them dry faster.

Can you put them in front of a fan?

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 2:25pm
post #3 of 7

Do you think a dehumidifier works?

sheshe09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheshe09 Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 2:35pm
post #4 of 7

Yes, you can put in front of the fan. I ran into that problem before and I had my nine yr old explain to me why a fan will work. hahahah

sheshe09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheshe09 Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 2:38pm
post #5 of 7

Yes, you can put in front of the fan. I ran into that problem before and I had my nine yr old explain to me why a fan will work. hahahah

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 2:41pm
post #6 of 7

It will never completely dry. Any moisure in the air will keep it moist to the touch. OK well maybe a month later as I found out with my eagle head(he did dry but the color also bled a bit before it dried)

The trick is to handle it as little as possible and keep it open to te air and infront of a fan and then touch it up after you assemble it onto the cake. I keep those little packets from shoes and purses near by to absorbe moisture from the air where I am storing my things and it does help.

No matter how dry something feels to the touch I alsways get color on my hands from handeling it.

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 2:51pm
post #7 of 7

Ya i agree mix it with an alcohol like vodka next time and it will be sure to dry. I learned the hard way. years ago i made frog cookies for my son's class and used cookie stamps. I didn't add the alchol to the coloring and i waited and waited, blotted and blotted and still they didn't dry. I ended up pkging them but man..those kids mouth must've been a horrible green for days after eating them.. I'm sure they didn't care, but i bet mom and dad did. ;0

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%