How Do I Cover A Ball Of Cake With Fondant?!?!

Decorating By mirda6275 Updated 16 Jul 2009 , 5:47am by Rylan

mirda6275 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mirda6275 Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 3:27am
post #1 of 3

No, not cake balls...although that would probably be easier than a 4" high/wide ball of cake. I want to make a teapot cake for my mom's birthday. I've baked, carved/trimmed, filled, iced (crumb-coat/thin) and doweled the ball of cake so it stops falling apart on me. I have made 1 attempt to cover it in fondant and it was horrible! I over-estimated the amount I needed and couldn't smooth out the bottom which (I think) lead to horrendous air bubbles all over the cake. I pealed it all off and came to you, wonderful CCers for assistance!

I've already made the handle, spout and piece for the 'lid' out of 50/50 gumpaste and fondant and they are drying. I really want to get the cake covered tomorrow night so I can attach all of the details/decorations to the teapot.

TIA

2 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 3:44am
post #2 of 3

What about covering it twice? Get the first layer as smooth as possible and then put another thin layer over it for the look. I've covered cake balls before and that's what worked the best for me.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 5:47am
post #3 of 3

Yes covering it twice also works or make sure the buttercream/ganache under is smooth. Rub tons of shortening in you hands and rub the ball as if you are that one lady who reads the future. Make sure you also put the ball on top of something small to avoid folds under.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%