How Do I Get Curly-Q's To Stay Up?

Decorating By jymorgan Updated 16 Jul 2009 , 9:56pm by brincess_b

jymorgan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jymorgan Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 2:19am
post #1 of 4

I've made curly q's once before and it was a success until I actually put them on the cake! I wanted them to stick up and out but they had other ideas! They kept breaking as I would stick them into the icing. They were fondant with gum-tex added and had dried for 2 days but something wasn't right. Maybe they were too wide or not wraped tightly enough or maybe I needed to have them on a wire or something. I wanted to put a bunch on a Hannah Montana "present" cake for Saturday.

Any advice would be appreciated!! Thank you! icon_biggrin.gif

3 replies
CanadianCakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianCakin Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 2:27am
post #2 of 4

When I did them on a last minute cake they only had about 12 hrs to dry so I did them out the gum paste fondant mix and it worked great! So far thats my fave combo of the 50/50 I have been using it for almost everything!
HTH!!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 5:55am
post #3 of 4

I'm not sure how exactly gumtex performs with fondant since I haven't tried it. Maybe you need a new medium-- fondant with tylose or gumpaste/fondant combination.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 9:56pm
post #4 of 4

gum paste on its own would be stronger.
things like that do have a tedency to break, so you need to be very careful, and make spares!
i would probably be inclined to put them on something like a wire if they were going to be sticking in the cake though.
xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%