Need Help For A Sweet 16 Tiered Cake

Decorating By GL79 Updated 16 Jul 2009 , 6:13am by Rylan

GL79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GL79 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 8:44pm
post #1 of 2

Hi everyone,
Ok so I volunteered to do a cake for my cousin's daughter in August over in Mexico. I already have a design in mind, but have lots of questions regarding pan sizes, frosting, cake mix etc..., it's going to be a three tiered square cake, will be making additional cakes on side. Don't know the exact # of people since we have a huge family plus friends but usually cakes are ordered no less than 6 (9-12 inch)round cakes, all buttercream. So my list of questions are:
-Pan sizes & brand for the tiered cakes, I was thinking of buying the 11, 13, & 15 inch
-I want to use box mix from Duncan Hines, will that work on tiered cakes?
Do I need to use any other recipe for tiered cakes or add additional ingredients to the box mix? I'm going to use the PSP to stack them.
-I want to make the cakes three days before, should I freeze them or just wrap them in foil and keep in refrigerator?
-If I do freeze them, do I need to thaw them before I frost with buttercream.
-For the tiered cake, I was thinking of buying a nice plate before setting on a cake stand, do I still need to put the bottom tier on a cake plate/board?
-I'm making the cake at a different house so I need to transport and the road to her house is all terrain, with potholes, up/down hill, will the PSP system work? or should I just assemble the cake at her house?

Sorry so many questions, I've only done sheet cakes for friends and family and I usually bake a day before and decorate the same day of the occassion. Any tips and ideas will be greatly appreciated

1 reply
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 6:13am
post #2 of 2

-Pan sizes & brand for the tiered cakes, I was thinking of buying the 11, 13, & 15 inch
A: I like Fat dadios, some people love Magic Line pans.

-I want to use box mix from Duncan Hines, will that work on tiered cakes?
A: Yes they do. You can also use WASC.

Do I need to use any other recipe for tiered cakes or add additional ingredients to the box mix? I'm going to use the PSP to stack them.
A: Try WASC. I've heard of people just using plain box mixes with succesful results.

-I want to make the cakes three days before, should I freeze them or just wrap them in foil and keep in refrigerator?
A: Yes you may. Wrap it in layers of plastic wrap and put in a ziploc bag/bread bag or foil the bigger ones.

-If I do freeze them, do I need to thaw them before I frost with buttercream.
Yes you do. It doesn't really take long to thaw. I've frosted half way thawed cakes with no problems.

-For the tiered cake, I was thinking of buying a nice plate before setting on a cake stand, do I still need to put the bottom tier on a cake plate/board?
A: It depends. I've placed cakes directly to cake stand with just cardboard under.

-I'm making the cake at a different house so I need to transport and the road to her house is all terrain, with potholes, up/down hill, will the PSP system work? or should I just assemble the cake at her house?
A: PSP? What is that? Do you mean SPS?
If you are worried, assemble on site.

Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%