Sagging Fondant -Why Did This Happen???......

Decorating By CanadianCakin Updated 23 Aug 2009 , 2:59am by KristyCakes

CanadianCakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianCakin Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 2:53pm
post #1 of 11

I did a baby shower cake last weekend and was looking at some pics that were posted on Facebook of the shower..(yes to see if they had pics of my cakeicon_wink.gif They did (YES!!) and noticed that one of the bigs the Fondant had started to sag and bulge at the bottom! It was not like that when it left me! The other pics I had seen it didn't have just this one!
Why did this happen and how can I prevent it in the future? It was very warm and humid that day, and obviously the cake set for quite a few hours after it had left me...I just think to where the future will hopefully head and one day getting some wedding cake orders...I would be devestated if this happened then..or again for that matter....
No one from the shower has said anything I only noticed looking at pics but it really bothers me!!
I'll try to post the pic of it...
Thanks for any and all of your advice and tips!
LL
LL

10 replies
sarahpierce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahpierce Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 4:26pm
post #2 of 11

First off - BEAUTIFUL cake!

Second - Could it be the heat? Maybe everything was starting to soften up?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 5:18pm
post #3 of 11

I agree, maybe it was the heat.

I had a cake develop a bulge at the bottom after being in the heat for a little while (probably it's hotter here than where you are icon_biggrin.gif I wouldn't attempt an outdoors cake in the summer here). When we cut into the cake, the buttercream had fallen off of the side and slid down, making the bulge.

Pastry-Panda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastry-Panda Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 5:36pm
post #4 of 11

I've had those kind of problems with heat. The best solution is to keep cake indoors , but we know thats not always possible!! What kind of icing do you use , I've heard if you use the icings that are made with shortening instead of butter hold up much better in the heat.

I guess it's best to warn customers of the chance of this happening , at least they didn't call wanting a full refund or anything that.

But your cake is beautiful reguardless!!!!

CanadianCakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianCakin Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 7:08pm
post #5 of 11

Thanks so much yeah I used shortening BC because I knew it would be outside...I just have to make sure to tell people to keep indoors as much as possible...bring it out when they are ready for the cake part!
Do you think that, or rather do you know, if ganache would hold better?

Thanks again and thanks very much on the comments of the cake! icon_biggrin.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 9:08am
post #6 of 11

The cake looks adorable. Did you let your cake settle?

Ganache works wonderful.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 2:21pm
post #7 of 11

Think about a hardening ganache under the fondant instead of BC. It is more sturdy especially if you play with the ratios and make it really firm.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 2:33pm
post #8 of 11

I've had this happen --even though I had let the cake settle. I came to the conclusion I had not let the fondant settle! I had worked rather quickly and applied the fondant, smoothed, trimmed, etc. Looking back at it, I think I could have perhaps smoothed the fondant down more. I remember I applied the base trim very soon after I had covered the cake. As the fondant settled, it kind of caught over the border the same way yours looks in the picture. I just assumed that was the reason, as at the time there was no heat to contend with, etc.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 12:58am
post #9 of 11

any cake that goes outside in the summer is not safe from thngs like this happening

heat and humidity for sure will do this

nothing you can do to stop it either

great cake!!!!!!!!!!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 12:59am
post #10 of 11

any cake that goes outside in the summer is not safe from thngs like this happening

heat and humidity for sure will do this

nothing you can do to stop it either

great cake!!!!!!!!!!

KristyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyCakes Posted 23 Aug 2009 , 2:59am
post #11 of 11

Momma-ash, your cake is beautiful! And thank you for posting these pictures because my cake did the same thing today - so these responses have been great at helping me figure out why... My cake was not outside. I baked cake in the evening, filled and crumb coated the next morning then fondant covered and decorated in the evening. Cake was never refrigerated. Looks like I'll have to cover in fondant and let them set again before I can decorate? One day I hope to get all these issues figured out!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%