Help, Writing Tip Keeps Clogging When Trying To Outline

Baking By smf-tls Updated 15 Jul 2009 , 1:27pm by Elise87

smf-tls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smf-tls Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 12:25pm
post #1 of 6

Any advice/tips would be appreciated. I have been running into a problem with my writing tips clogging when trying to outline my cookies with royal icing. I have tried everything - taking a pin and pushing through tip to make sure its not clogged, taking tip off and washing in hot water. Its making me nuts. To the point where I have been bypassing the tips all together and just snipping the end of pastry bag! problem is that doing this it isn't a perfectly round hole like the tip. thanks in advance from anyone with advice.

5 replies
cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 12:34pm
post #2 of 6

Do you sift your powdered sugar? That might help.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 12:41pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

Do you sift your powdered sugar? That might help.

my advice, too.

notjustcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcakes Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 12:47pm
post #4 of 6

Check the consistency of your icing. Also I've noticed this tends to happen with icing that I didn't have covered up (w/ a wet towel or an airtight lid) and it has gotten little tiny pieces of crusted over icing throughout the frosting...Those pieces kind of clog the tip...

ZlatkaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZlatkaT Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 1:06pm
post #5 of 6

I think too, that your icing is to stiff, or the sugar is not well mixed. I mixed my RI in the mixer for 5 minutes. If you are not working with the bag of certain color, put wet paper towel around the tip, otherwise it will dry and clog.

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 1:27pm
post #6 of 6

I had the same problems too with my small tips and started a post on the same issue a little while back

Here is it:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-630347.html

I got told a really great tip about using a nylon stocking to strain your RI through to get rid of any small lumps that clog the tip and it works fantastically!!! It can be a little messy though lol

HTH icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%