Putting Fondant On A Cake

Decorating By Leah1204 Updated 14 Jul 2009 , 2:56pm by MyDiwa

Leah1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leah1204 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 2:34pm
post #1 of 3

I've been watching a lot of tutorials and reading tons of information on using fondant. Everything I've read says to use lots of icing sugar or corn starch on the fondant when rolling it out as to not let it stick to counter surface... but my question is.. you will end up getting cornstarch/icing sugar fingerprints on the top of the fondant which looks terrible on colored fondant. How would I get rid of these?

Leah

2 replies
CanadianCakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianCakin Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 2:45pm
post #2 of 3

They actually just brush of nicely. I use a big blush brush I only use for cakes and it comes off easily and smoothly.

HTH!

MyDiwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyDiwa Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 2:56pm
post #3 of 3

I used to use quite a bit of cornstarch until I watched this youtube video from Planet Cakes.

She doesnt knead the fondant too much before rolling it out, and then she puts a little bit of icing sugar/cornstarch to roll with and keeps moving the fondant as she rolls. It TOTALLY works! Before I tried this, I could never lift the fondant as I rolled because it would immediately tear wherever my fingers were. This is how I now do it and my fondant definitely works better for me this way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%