Property Tax Question! Help!

Business By CakeForte Updated 14 Jul 2009 , 3:49pm by CakeForte

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 3:14am
post #1 of 5

First - I'm going to talk to a pro, the appointment just hasn't happened yet.

Back story:

I received a letter that I have to pay property taxes on my storefront that is not open yet. I called my tax person and they said you don't pay taxes on it if it is not being used to produce income. It's basically an expensive storage facility a this point. Ok fine. So I protest and state exactly that: The location is not open for business, it's storage.

I do have a sign on the front window with my name it's advertising for me even though I am not there during normal business hours. EVER. I have a job in a different part of town. Anyway, tax people were like oh we came by and got a business card and took photos and this is what you owe. I was like I KNOW you didn't get a card from there b/c that is not open for business. They actually pulled my DBA info and that's how they got my info. No biggie, I own like 10 business names, doesn't mean they are in use.

My question is that they want me to pay taxes on items that are not in use for business AND they are not mine. My mom let me use her furniture, like chairs tables, bookshelves to decorate the front so people don't see "junk" when they drive by.

I can prove that particular location is not open for business.... But how do I prove that the items that they photographed are not mine? The items are at least 15 years old, so the proof of purchase is gone. Should I have my mom sign a notarized letter stating that she is the owner?

thanks!

4 replies
littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 4:13am
post #2 of 5

they just had me make up an itemized list of the stuff i own...and an estimated value...i have to redo it every year, because of depreciation etc.

anyhoo, here the property tax peeps are extremely easy to deal with, they just take you word for it, i don't have to take pics or prove anything....i just tell em what i got, i've never seen anyone from their office in person.

littlecake Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 4:18am
post #3 of 5

double post

littlecake Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 4:21am
post #4 of 5

ps. personal property is still your property....if you are using it for income or not.....

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 3:49pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks so much! I'm fine w/ paying the taxes, but my issue is that they're saying that location is in use for business, when it's really not. So that's what I have to prove. Once I have that location actually open, I have no problem paying the tax.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%