Coring A Cake

Decorating By rogers26 Updated 13 Jul 2009 , 3:08pm by Ang23

rogers26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rogers26 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 4:49am
post #1 of 7

Is is completely and utterly necessary to use a heating core for an 16" round cake? Is there another way to bake it without a core? I start the cake in 48 hours and need to know if I need to find a place with one.

6 replies
varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 5:05am
post #2 of 7

Do you have a flower nail? You can use that, instead. Especially if you combine it with wet toweling or bake-even strips.

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 5:06am
post #3 of 7

I would definitely use one. If you dont have one you can place a couple of flower nails in the center. I have heard from other CC'ers that this has worked. But if you are going to use a heating core, with a cake that big I am not sure if you would need to use 2....but to be on the safe side, I would. Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

Melchas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melchas Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 5:07am
post #4 of 7

I have read severl post about using a flower nail instead of a heating core for larger cakes. I just did a 3 tierd wedding cake 12-9-6 and 1/2 a sheet cake using a flower nail and it worked perfectly. I alway baked at a lower temp and watched the cake closely, but the flower nail was super easy and cut down on my bake time! Plus, it leaves only a nail sized hole so, no need to fill in with cake!
You need to grease it and then put it in the pan with the flat side against the bottom of your cake pan, pour your batter and bake. Once cooled, flip the cake over to get it out of the pan and pull out the flower nail. HTH icon_biggrin.gif

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 5:12am
post #5 of 7

Yes I have used the flower nail as well and it works fine. I prefer the core myself, but if I can't find the darn thing, I find something metal to use in its place...

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 1:57pm
post #6 of 7

I never use cores or flower nails and haven't for 30 years. Baking strips and a reduced baking temp works just fine for me. I've just never liked the idea of a big hole in the middle of my cake, nor did I want to buy a bunch of flower nails that I'd have to dig out of a cake.

Just never saw a need for them, personally.

Ang23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ang23 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 3:08pm
post #7 of 7

hi!! I agree, i have never used any of those things,and have baked tons of 16" rounds.. just keep an eye on the cake and you should be fine!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%