imartsy Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 8:18pm
post #1 of

Can you still use it to make cake balls? It doesn't seem like it would go "bad" - like it would hurt you - but I wouldn't want to risk trying to make a regular cake out of it b/c I think it might come out a little "deflated" or not rise as high as normal.

Has anyone attempted using year-old cake mix? I'd like to still be able to use it if I could, and cake balls seemed like a perfect idea.

5 replies
Gingoodies Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 10:13pm
post #2 of

The absolute worst thing is that you would waste some oil and eggs. If you really want to try it.. go ahead.

varika Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 10:19pm
post #3 of

Checking the expiration date on the cake mix I have indicates that it's supposed to still be good until November of next year, so I suspect that the cake mix you have should work just fine to make a normal cake.

missymayflower Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 10:31pm
post #4 of

I've used an old cake mix before, and it was okay. It didn't quite rise as high as it should have, but the difference was less than a quarter inch.

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 10:47pm
post #5 of

Unless the internal packaging has been opened/ripped and air got in, I would go ahead. Like Gingoodies said, the worst thing you'll lose is a few eggs, water and oil (and heating the oven, but that's only pennies for one cake).

Before you go all out and completely decorate it, taste a bit of the levelling slice.

BlakesCakes Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 11:07pm
post #6 of

Expired mixes don't rise as much because the leavening agents are no longer active.
I accidentally used one for a character pan a few years ago and it came out like a thick cookie. It also had a stale taste, like pretzels out of a bag that's been left open.

I find that if you mix a fresh one with an old one, you can't tell the difference.

In the same vein, I always throw away baking soda or baking powder that has been opened for more than a year (I mark the can with the date that I open it). They just don't do their job well after that point.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%