Help With Indydebi's Buttercream

Decorating By kikster Updated 12 Jul 2009 , 3:40pm by candoo

kikster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikster Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 2:24pm
post #1 of 12

For those of you who use Debi's buttercream, I would love some advice. I have made 2 batches, and I love the flavor of the icing, and I love how well it crusts, but I am having 2 problems.

1 - I am getting ton of airbubbles in the frosting. I am using the paddle attachment, and am not sure what I am doing wrong.

2. Crusting. For me what is happening, is that this is crusting SO well, that when I go to smooth it, it starts to look cracked. So the finish is not ultra smooth like I have been able to get with other recipes. This is happening even when I add more than the 1/2 cup of milk. Should I just keep adding more milk or is that not the issue?

I know you guys will know some tips, and I would really appreciate it!

11 replies
vrmcc1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vrmcc1 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 2:36pm
post #2 of 12

It is best to make a double batch of icing and let it mix for 7-10 min. the fuller the bowl is the less air you will have in your icing.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 2:37pm
post #3 of 12

Welcome to CC. With the air bubbles, what speed are you using, you may need to decrease the speed. Also, to decrease the bubbles, the icing must come up over the paddle. So you will have a very full bowl. Someone else with have to help you with #2! Plus someone else can give other ideas for #1. It always helps if you tell us how you are making your icing, that way you can get a faster solution to your problems.

candoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candoo Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 2:48pm
post #4 of 12

I too, have had the cracking problem, but only when I colored the icing?!?! What's up with that? Anyone know?

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 2:50pm
post #5 of 12

I have always mixed a double batch in my KA6 ...the trick is to mix very well at first.....this is where you can flip it up on high and let it mix well. The second bag of PS I mix in at small amounts at slower speed and once all in I on go on med a min or so....if you turn this up on high you will get bubbles.
I only have trouble with the crusting, if I let it set to long before I start smoothing it...once on the cake I get right to work on getting it flawless.
Sounds like you may not be adding enough liquid, keep at it and you will get it!
I am sure Indy will answer your questions as well and she knows all the tricks!!
Laura

kikster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikster Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 2:51pm
post #6 of 12

So neither time I made it, did I do a double batch, so maybe that is part of the problem. I keep having to scrape down the bowl because it is not up over the paddle.

As for the speed, I beat it almost exclusively on the lowest speed, because I know with other recipes I have used, that the higher speeds contribute to the bubbles.

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 2:57pm
post #7 of 12

That maybe the trouble....you have to "pulverize" the fat....as indy says and this happens at a higher speed at the very first.

dahir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dahir Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 3:14pm
post #8 of 12

I have recently (last 2 cakes) started using indy's buttercream. I have had the same problem with the "Cracking" issue. Works great other than that. I would love to hear from anyone that can help with this problem.
PS I used it this weekend on a stacked cake in Texas with 105 degrees outside. Icing held up fine. I'm just not comfortable with it not being smooth after it has been on the cake for a few hours.
Any help out there with this problem?
Thanks

dahir Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 3:17pm
post #9 of 12

I have recently (last 2 cakes) started using indy's buttercream. I have had the same problem with the "Cracking" issue. Works great other than that. I would love to hear from anyone that can help with this problem.
PS I used it this weekend on a stacked cake in Texas with 105 degrees outside. Icing held up fine. I'm just not comfortable with it not being smooth after it has been on the cake for a few hours.
Thanks

dahir Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 3:18pm
post #10 of 12

Thanks

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 3:26pm
post #11 of 12

had the same problem. couple weeks ago.. made it for the first time. went right by the recipe. been making icing for 13 years. this one was very gritty.. and i used hi-ratio shortening..

candoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candoo Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 3:40pm
post #12 of 12

Mine's not gritty at all! Very smooth and fluffy, just have noticed some cracking when it's colored (and only then, for some reason!). In my pics, look at the paws on the cheshire cat in the up close pic, and the green icing on the pink, brown, and green cake (Takira), and you can see what I mean. Really easy to see on the cat... Maybe Debi has some suggestions b/c I love this recipe, and don't intend to change to another, but I do steer away from icing an entire cake in colored icing if I can help it, for this reason!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%