Making My Very First Cake (Decorated) Question

Decorating By wallysdee Updated 13 Jul 2009 , 6:17pm by wallysdee

wallysdee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wallysdee Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 8:33pm
post #1 of 10

I found the cutest two teared square cake on here. Had elmo and cookie monster's head on it and the name of a child in m&m's. Looked easy enough for my first try. Have my cakes in the oven now and was tossing up the idea of doing a dirty frost and trying fondent? wanted to use a cream cheese frosting can you use that for filling and frosting? also if I decide not to try the fondent what is a good cream cheese frosting that is stiff enough to ice. Not too concerned about getting it perfect smooth as this is my first try. lol lol
Thanks in advance.
Denise

9 replies
CountryCakery4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CountryCakery4 Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 9:16pm
post #2 of 10

By 'dirty frost' do you mean not visually perfect? I usually do a crumb coat that kind of cements the crumbs to the structure of the cake, let it chill to 'set up' in the fridge then do another smoother layer of icing for the fondant to cling to. Try using a hot knife or spatula to really smooth out the surface. Dip in hot water, dry, then smooth the icing. Cream cheese frosting would make a yummy filling and frosting. I've never put fondant on that kind of icing but I can't see why there'd be a problem. As far as a stiff Cr.Ch. icing, I usually just add more Icing Sugar to stiffen my BC. Would it be the same for your Cream Cheese? Did you buy fondant or are you planning to make it? Simple MMF is very easy to make and I love working with it. 1 Tbsp water for every 1 cup of mini marshmallows. Microwave carefully (I don't have one so I use my range top) and when it's melted and soupy add colouring gel then sifted Icing Sugar till you get a workable dough. I've found that rolling it out on a surface lightly crisco'd really cuts down on sticking. I usually double or triple the recipe to get enough to cover my cake depending on how big it is. HTH and let us know how it works out!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 3:24am
post #3 of 10

Designmeacake.com has a great cream cheese buttercream recipe. Check it out.

wallysdee Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 5:05am
post #4 of 10

Thank you both so much. I promise to take pictures when I get it all done tomorrow. YOu both have helped so much!
Denise

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 12:09am
post #5 of 10

Good luck.

CountryCakery4 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 1:33am
post #6 of 10

Can't wait to see them! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

JamieBrooke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamieBrooke Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 1:49am
post #7 of 10

I have been told by someone on here to never use fondant on Cream cheese icing. The two do not work well together. I did a red velvet wedding cake recently and the bride wanted cream cheese icing but she wanted the fondant as well so I used the creamcheese icing as the filling and buttercream on the outside. also, when you lay that heavy fondant on that cream cheese icing, I think it will weigh it down and give a more rounded shape to the cake. If you are doing the squares I would think you would want pretty defined edges. I think the stiff BC holds up better than cream cheese. Good Luck on the cake.

JamieBrooke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamieBrooke Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 1:49am
post #8 of 10

I have been told by someone on here to never use fondant on Cream cheese icing. The two do not work well together. I did a red velvet wedding cake recently and the bride wanted cream cheese icing but she wanted the fondant as well so I used the creamcheese icing as the filling and buttercream on the outside. also, when you lay that heavy fondant on that cream cheese icing, I think it will weigh it down and give a more rounded shape to the cake. If you are doing the squares I would think you would want pretty defined edges. I think the stiff BC holds up better than cream cheese. Good Luck on the cake.

CountryCakery4 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 5:04pm
post #9 of 10

Jamie, thanks for the tip. I had no idea that Cream Cheese Frosting would act like that. That's why CC is so great!! icon_biggrin.gif

wallysdee, did you finish your cake yet?

wallysdee Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 6:17pm
post #10 of 10

Posting pictures now.
Thanks everyone!
Denise

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%